Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener

Submitted by Mike on 3/17/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 66.103.239.126

I just talked to another taxidermist and he applies Snuggle liquid fabric softener to his deer capes, which he said really increases the stretch of the hide: As much as 2-3) more than the original size. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

downy deer capes

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 3/17/05 at 2:34 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.131

Type that into the search. WHALLA! Peace. Jeff F.

So your saying

This response submitted by Chris on 3/17/05 at 4:18 PM. ( ) 68.118.138.104

So your saying that you can end up with a deer that has a neck measurement of 40-60 inches! Now that would be something to see. Even if that was physically possible, the hair on the deer would be so thin you would have skin showing everywhere.

All my deer capes get a quick soak in a little fabric softner when they are rehydrating, it does relax the hide a little more and it makes them smell good.

Chris

Fabric softener

This response submitted by Kelly on 3/17/05 at 6:11 PM. ( ) 24.224.171.77

I use liqua Tan on my capes and after I put the liqua tan on I wait the six hours as suggested on the product label and then I try to get in on the form. I have been experiencing some shrinkage and was wondering if the fabric softener works to relax the skin. Do you just rub the fabric softener on the tanned skin full strenght or do I mix a water solution with some fabric softener in it and submerge the whole tanned skin. What'sd the ratio? Any suggests? Thanks

Kelly

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 3/18/05 at 5:15 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 209.158.56.167

If your experencing shrinkage, it comes from having a hide that is usually to thick. That is the main cause it. Thinning the hide better will aid you in that department.
As for the downey add to your water. A cap full to 5 gallons is fine. I do this after you wash the hide then in the rinse cycle I will use it.

Van Dykes hide relaxing compound relaxes good

This response submitted by paul e on 3/18/05 at 11:02 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.104.194

thinning is probably your problem
but
the hide relaxing compound from Van Dykes will get you as close to green size as i have found

follow directions though

if you dont have a fleshing machine get one

Franks right

This response submitted by John W. on 3/18/05 at 4:34 PM. ( ) 12.214.100.89

The main cause is usually the skin is not thin enough,but also a lot of folks don't let their capes sweat long enough.I do use fabric softner but then I wrap my capes in a towel and set them in the refridgerator all night and then mount the next morning.I end up with plenty of stretch and a good smell'in cape.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu