Adjusting measurements

Submitted by rube on 3/19/05 at 7:32 PM. ( ) 71.98.8.226

I recently mounted my first deer, and was quite happy with the results. However, the form was much to large for the cape, and I had to shave it much. I got my measurements with the skin still on the carcass. I have another deer to do and was wondering how I should obtain more realistic measurements.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Measure the skin.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 3/19/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Fold the two sides against each other and stick a plastic ruler to the front of the cape. it will give you the correct number.

Over the hair tend to make YOU ORDER TO BIG OF FORMS>

Here's what I do....

This response submitted by Greg on 3/19/05 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 204.116.66.162

You have to figure that you're gonna have some adjustments, so I take my measurements then take at least 1/2 inch - 1 inch off all but the eye to nose. Some won't agree with me, but the skin will shrink as it dries. I haven't had any drumming problems, it's easier to make adjustments so the hair patterns lie correctly. Hope it helps.

me too

This response submitted by chuck on 3/20/05 at 8:56 AM. ( ) 216.198.127.31

I take my measurements around the neck, and eye to nose then take off 1 inch off the biggest measurement on the neck, then if i have too i'll take off no more than 1/8 to a 1/4 eye to nose.Its hard to find the exact measurements in the catalogs all the time. Just have to learn how to tuck and move the skin around to lose some of the extra skin sometimes, thus the term TAXI-DERMY. Good luck Rube

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu