sagging chin skin

Submitted by Christine on 3/22/05 at 7:09 PM. ( ) 65.19.65.76

I usually use McKenzie forms for deer, but I am wondering if I should use a different form. I have mounted Vermont deer which have had thin faces but are broad (from the top of the head to underneath the chin).

When I mount the deer the area from the hair follicle on the chin to the base of the neck sags...basically the bottom jawline skin. Everything else fits ok, eyes, nose, lips, neck diameter. It shrinks to fit the form with no creases, but it takes away from the actual size of the deer head i think.

Should I try a different manufacturer or try building up the bottom of the jaw area with something? Or is this normal?

Someone mentioned on another post to order the forms with the old head style? Didn't know they had "old style" heads.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Christine, are you using a good hide paste?

This response submitted by George on 3/22/05 at 7:17 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.9

Remember, deer eat whole apples and bite cantaloupes. Their mouth skins will expand immensely. This skin should never "sag", however, if you're using a good hide paste.

Use Clay

This response submitted by CA on 3/22/05 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 70.113.34.43

Christine...
Get some reference pictures of deer in different positions, like standing alert, sneaking, or whatever. The underside of the jaw can change depending on what the deer is doing. It usually also changes as they grow older. Sorry, but I have to disagree with George, but it can sag on older bucks sometimes. He is right about their skin expanding. You don't want to go overboard here, but I always use some clay in that area to get the look I need. And trust me, ask for the old head style. They are better.

That's OK CA, we can disagree.

This response submitted by George on 3/22/05 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 152.163.101.9

Even if you are wrong. LMAO. Skin sags on ALL OF US when we're old but we don't put clay in it and most of us don't opt for tummy tucks either. I'd still bet she didn't use hide paste under the chin.

George...

This response submitted by CA on 3/22/05 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 70.113.34.43

What I meant was that the skin "sags" need to be recreated with clay, not to just let the extra skin hang unfilled. If an old buck has sagging skin, it should be mounted to look like he did on the hoof. That's all I was saying. And yes, she needs some hide paste under there.

Yes hide paste

This response submitted by Christine on 3/22/05 at 8:57 PM. ( ) 65.19.65.146

Yes I use hidepaste everywhere. I use Epo-Grip waterbased hide paste. the skin did not sag on the deer itself (of course) and the one I am going to mount soon was a spikehorn, so it is not old. Their width from the bottom of the jaw to the top of the head is very broad, definitely more so than the forms are. That is why this guy wants this spikehorn mounted, we have never seen a deer that had such a broad jawline. Of course the hairlength adds to the appearance I know.

Like i said, the skin will "shrink to fit" the McKenzie forms with no wrinkling and look ok, but I know I am losing the original size. I think I need to try a different form or build up the jawline more. Maybe try that old style head.

I assume you have to call in order to get that style head?

oh yeah

This response submitted by christine on 3/22/05 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 65.19.65.146

Hey George, I would opt for the tummy tuck if i had the cash :- )

thanks for the input!

Christine

This response submitted by Deleted Massachusetts on 3/22/05 at 9:34 PM. ( ) 65.54.154.147

Ca,I use McKenzie forms on most deer from Vt.
I add awedge of scrap foam from neck junction appx.1/3 of distance to chin. The Meder forms may give the correct profile but may be narrow
in width especially on smaller deer.

Try a Ben Mears form

This response submitted by Luther on 3/22/05 at 10:34 PM. ( ) 206.74.88.199

It seems like every time I order from McKenzie, I have to do a lot of altering to make it look and fit right.
Last year I tried several other companies and I like Mears forms the best.

Of course this is only one man's opinion.

That happens to me sometimes

This response submitted by Jon S on 3/23/05 at 7:44 AM. ( ) 208.23.177.70

now that I'm used to it I kind of like it. Like you said the skin shrinks to fit and I have less pulling on the lips during drying. I always thought that the skin gets stretched out of shape during fleshing and shaving, giving me the extra skin there.

try

This response submitted by michael f on 3/23/05 at 7:42 PM. ( ) 12.77.174.150

a coombs form . you won't go back to McKenzie.

i like ben mears also

This response submitted by paul e on 3/24/05 at 11:09 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.51.220

most of my deer are from the south
the forms are as little shorter with good head detail
the stubbiness on the necks are a real cust. pleaser
but that goes back to asking the cust. what their looking for

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu