Back placque for whiteatail mount question

Submitted by mrdux on 3/28/05 at 12:18 AM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.144.139

I just finished a whitetail mount and the customer wants a walnut placque on it. The deer is a 177 inch typical 10-point that was only about 170 pounds. The cape was mounted on a Joe Meeder 521 form. It is offset shoulder right turn. My question is this; when I measured and aligned the shoulders on the form and screwed it down, the head and rack has a slight tilt. Would I be better off leveling the deer's head to the placque and not worrying about the shoulders being spaced correctly? This is actually the first gamehead I have done with a backing placque but have a couple of others to do. What do you use to determine how the mount would look best on the placque? The customer is pretty much leaving it up to me. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

This response submitted by Sam on 3/28/05 at 12:29 AM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

If the customer says its fine like it is, i'd leave it. Thats just what i would do.

I would level the head

This response submitted by Jon S on 3/28/05 at 7:43 AM. ( ) 208.23.177.70

It should look Ok on an offset shoulder mount. Hang the mount on the wall and see which position you would like best.

leveling a deer head

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 3/28/05 at 8:12 AM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.12.136

mrdux, I think that the level of a deer head is best achived by leveling the eyes. As you mount the head if the eyes are level and other parts look right in relation to the eyes it will look fine on the wall. Many shoulder mounts seem a bit uneven in the shoulder area especially when of offset design. This is not wrong in itself as a deer standing at an angle will appear "uneven". If the head is pretty much even in the ways I described it will be fine on a panel- level eyes and level panel. If the face is not even in relation to the eyes you just have to average out the angle of the head and get the best look you can. You can attatch the form to the panel with one screw in the center of the back board first and hang on the wall. Adjust for the best look and add screws to finish. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Like Aaron says...

This response submitted by Craig on 3/28/05 at 11:05 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

level the eyes across the bridge of the nose and also level the top points of the panel.

Mrdux..

This response submitted by tomdes on 3/28/05 at 11:20 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.13

Pretty much what Aaron said but I'll add that the eyes must be level to the vertical plane of the plaque too. So when it's on the wall the plaque will be vertical and the eyes level, unless you have a round plaque.. HA.. Then where ever the offset falls on the plaque is up to you, they are hard to line up at times.

mrdux

This response submitted by Fur,Feathes&Fins Taxidermy on 3/28/05 at 4:04 PM. ( kyduckslayer@yahoo.com ) 63.19.124.1

hey Doug glad to see you here great site and some good info.

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by mrdux on 3/28/05 at 10:47 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.144.139

I took Aaron's advice on putting a screw in the center and moving it. I had 4 screws in it but they were all on then outside edges. It took a couple of trips to the showroom with the mount to get it the way I wanted but everything leveled up and looks much better. This piece should get lots of statewide publicity and I wanted it perfect( as close as I'm capable). I'm happy with it and the client will be also.
Thanks to all who replied. I can always count on the folks here.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu