whitetail competition

Submitted by jamie on 3/28/05 at 9:59 AM. ( ) 207.69.139.149

I am geting ready for my first competition and I was wondering if you recieve more points for custom bases and habitat displays, and if they take into consideration if you did any form alterations, open mouth etc... And one more thing are you alowed to present a photo album with your entry showing all the things you did to your mount.
Thanks, jamie

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

The base or habitat scene has anything...

This response submitted by Craig on 3/28/05 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

to do with total score of a gamehead. If you enter it into a habitat category it will be judged seperately from the head and will cost you an extra fee to enter both categories. You could possibly win People's Choice, President's Choice or similiar awards based on habitat/animal scenes by only entering one category.

If you did form alterations for a special pose it is very advisable to take pictures and present an album with your piece. Make sure you are doing the alterations correctly though as it could cost you if done improperly. With pictures the judge would be able to better explain if things are wrong and how you could correct them.

Habitat doesn't matter to a gamehead or whitetail judge as far as score is concerned but if you decide to enter the habitat category it would be helpful for the habitat judge. I'm not sure if all shows allow photo albums so you should check with the association that sponsors the show you will be competing in.

Jamie

This response submitted by Mike on 3/28/05 at 5:18 PM. ( ) 66.81.116.26

I would have to disagree just a little with Craig, a small habitat base with your show peice can save you points. Let me explain, depending on which rules or score sheet a judge goes by, either your states, national, or world, the habitat can save you as much as six points and it falls under the artistic and composition section of the score sheet. in other words if you have some sort of habitat you will start with 100 points and the judge deducts from there, if you dont have a habitat or some kind of base you lose six points right off the top and start with 94 points and then the judge deducts from there, I only know this from learning the hard way. As far as the other question I would leave it simple, a little note left with your peice titled "For the Judge" and a brief description in side such as "Form altered" would be just fine. I would not do the photo album for the reasons Craig stated, let the judge find the mistakes, a photo album would make it easy for him to ding you. Good luck and have fun.

my opinion

This response submitted by paul on 3/28/05 at 7:37 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

open mouth deer along with sculpted ear butts and alterations can make a big difference when it comes to the degree of difficulty, it may not make a difference in your ribbon colors but it can certainly make a difference between 1st and best of catagory, now haveing said that if you dont do these things right, it may cost you dearly. now like mike said if your just getting started you may want to focus on simplicity and move on from there, give that judge just a little less to pick on so to speak. have fun and listen to the judges critique and you will learn much, good luck with your mount!

Nta score sheet

This response submitted by Mr. T on 3/28/05 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.241

Things to watch for jamie, atleast this is what the judge will look at before he looks at you're base or habitat.

correct use of fillers
correct use of paints
shrinkage and drumming
apperance of seams
proper alignment of skin on form
grooming
basics- pinholes, form showing, poor repairs
cleanleness
oder
nose exterior
nose interior
mouth and lips
or open mouth
eye set
eye anatomy, eyelid placement
tearduct area
ears
ear butts
anatomy of head

learn

This response submitted by Rick on 3/29/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 216.180.203.111

Remember, a 3rd place deerhead on a 4550 base is still a 3rd place deerhead. If this is your 1st competition, just concentrate on the mount for a while. Add the base later. good Luck

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu