How do you make them understand

Submitted by todd on 3/29/05 at 10:10 PM. ( angemckinney@bellsouth.net ) 209.214.175.183

that leaving there deer hanging around causes hair slippage? (customers). they always try to blame it on you.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Get your self

This response submitted by Jimmy on 3/29/05 at 11:35 PM. ( nightbiter2001@yahoo.com ) 4.157.56.146

some trophy field care guides from McKenzie taxidermy supply and give them to your customers when they come in.Tell them to read it,it's in there.

todd

This response submitted by steve d on 3/30/05 at 6:27 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.16.72.18

If the field guides don't work then do your self a favor ask questions if they tell you its been lying around for a couple of days and this is a person that you've been trying to get to understand the problem, either tell them you cant or wont mount it and then they will start to get the picture, or require the total amount up front, make sure they know that if the cape is unmountable they only have a few options 1 forfeit the money and forget about the mount (your time is to valuable to sc__w with people that wont learn) or 2 purchase another cape from you (of course at a mark up of at least 50% over cost for the aggravation of locating a new cape)
Or 3 get an antler or European mount at the cost of a shoulder mount if you took the time to try to save the other hide. Keep that hide away from others while working with it so if there is bacteria it doesn't spread. Just my opinion.

Todd

This response submitted by Jimmy on 3/30/05 at 9:16 AM. ( nightbiter2001@yahoo.com ) 4.156.174.79

When they bring you "any" specimen,you can point out to them in the field guide many things,use it as a reference.Look at the date of kill on the tag and the date they bring it to you and you will know the hang time.Then follow up on what Steve d is pointing out to you.Make them read your agreement and put their X on it,and you are coverd.

Be up front

This response submitted by Marc A on 3/30/05 at 9:33 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

and if it looks, smells or they tell you its been hanging around a few days; tell them you can't promise it will be good or refuse the job. They don't understand about slipping !

Thanks

This response submitted by todd on 3/31/05 at 3:41 PM. ( ange@bellsouth.net ) 209.214.175.210

for your input. Im in the process of designing a brochure of my own on field care ,proper freezeing, etc. with a thorough explanation on bacteria.Im planing to staple them to my business cards. As bad as i hate to turn one down, i think that is what im going to have to start doing. thanks again.

Lotsa ways to handle this

This response submitted by Lance H on 4/1/05 at 6:34 PM. ( ) 64.72.62.183

First, I've always considered it paramount to educate my customers about feild care of their trophy. Even done a couple articles for magazines to reach as many as I can at one time. I preach to them that any animal starts rotting when they make their first shot. And I use the term "rot" rather than decompose. The effect seems more urgent from their perspective.

Second, line number 1 on my contract specifically says that neither I or my business can be held responsible for hides failing because of things just like this.

Third, I always check the backs of the ears on all deer that come in. I was once told that this is the first place to start slipping, and it sure seems to be true. While I'm looking at the head and visiting with the customer, I rub my thumb with the grain of the hair on the backside of the ear and give it a good sniff. If it smells the least bit like sour milk or the hair slips, there's a problem.

That's just a few ways to check it out.

yeah but..

This response submitted by christine on 4/2/05 at 7:24 AM. ( ) 65.19.65.62

I am new at this so i am no expert that is for sure. i got a cape in and i asked the guy how long he had had it and he stated nine days but kept it in the fridge. I of course told him that is a long time and he said well it doesn't smell so it should be fine. The thing is, the cape didn't smell, but after tanning i did have slippage, and one of the spots was behind the ears.

I will try that ear test, but i don't know how how much i can depend on odor. Of course if it really smells then it certianly is bad.

what

This response submitted by todd on 4/7/05 at 3:17 PM. ( ) 209.214.175.198

i have found is that if you run your fingers threw the hair

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu