repairing cracked up WT mount

Submitted by Andre on 3/31/05 at 10:29 PM. ( apbeauds@charter.net ) 68.112.162.21

I'm just a W/T guy doing taxidermy for a hobby. And I'm looking to fix up a deer head that's @ 14 yrs old and the bottom jaw is seperated @ a 1/4 inch and the eyes are all cracked up.
I'm looking at it as a learning exp. I figure I can't make it look worse than it really is. I know it was done with the formic acid method for tanning .
I'm thinking some how clean out the crack and spread bondo or epoxy in there and squeeze the two together and see what happens ,And for the cracks fill em in with sculpt and paint. Am I close? or no clue at all? Help! Andre

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Formic acid is not tanning. Its just the pickle.

This response submitted by Ben Dover on 3/31/05 at 10:40 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Bondo will not do it, use an epoxie clay, such as aopxie sculpt.

Place wet twoel around the deer, pin them in place then put the head in a plastic bag overnite.

Andre

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 4/1/05 at 1:00 AM. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 63.162.143.21

Send me some pictures of the damage to the mount and I will help you if I can.

Bob Mead

Still need help

This response submitted by Andre on 4/3/05 at 7:29 PM. ( apbeauds@charter.net ) 68.112.162.21

Well I cleaned out the lip line with a saw blade and blew out any loose foam from the manikan Would you suggest that I fill in witha 2 part epoxy and clamp mouth shut? Thats what I'm thinking of doing Hopefully the epoxy will grag.. The eye had drummed out about a 1/4 inch in front corner and cracked in the backed corner pretty bad I'll try wetting and soaking the eye and get some glue behind it, I'm thinking of filling cracks in with madge podge or something . Does it sound like I'm going about this in the right way? No clue Andre

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu