glossy noses

Submitted by jimmy on 3/31/05 at 10:33 PM. ( ) 69.2.164.27

I cant seem to get my deer noses to appear glossy as I would like. I just cant seem to find the depth that im looking for. Im using wildlife colors [water base], with hydro-mist hm-200 gloss (applied after wildlife colors are dried. Finished product doesnt seem to have the alive look that im looking for. I did a competition mount last year that I glossed with polyurethane and a brush. I liked the final results but dont like the idea of using a brush for all of my commercial work. Any ideas?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Krylon...

This response submitted by Drew on 3/31/05 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.146

I just use Krylon gloss in a spray can. I cover up the mount with a sheet except for the nose. Give it a couple sprays, wipe off the hair with mineral spirits and you are done.

Folk Art Clear Cote Hi-Shine Glaze

This response submitted by Jeff "458okie" W. on 3/31/05 at 11:43 PM. ( wickstromtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 205.188.116.133

Go to craft area at Wally-World and you will find aeresol glazes and sprays. I hit my noses with the product noted in Response Title, above.

Product, as advertized, leaves a "brilliant, super-gloss, non-yellowing shine with an instant, deep, thick build-up that dries to a tough, flexible finish."

It lives up to it's claim! For me, it leaves a "wet-look" with excellent depth.

-Jeff W.

Brush On

This response submitted by James Parrish on 4/1/05 at 6:54 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

I use Hydromist water-based gloss topcoat. I apply it with a brush. Works great. I also use it inside the nose and on the bottom lip.

Walmart

This response submitted by Tony J. on 4/1/05 at 9:38 AM. ( ) 208.159.223.87

Has brush on "Tripple thick non-firing crystal clear glaze" This stuff is the trick, one coat is equal to 10 coat of the spray on clear coats! Its by Krylon! There is also the same stuff that you spray.

Mod Podge

This response submitted by Jack F on 4/2/05 at 3:37 PM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I use it on all my deer and mammal noses. If I need more depth I put two coats. I like the way it makes the hairs on the nose pad look like they have drops of water on them. I do not use this on each nodule to build them up. I hate that look on a deer. They look to fake and made up in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu