Transport Question

Submitted by Cory on 4/8/05 at 2:45 AM. ( ) 208.155.30.83

I have a transportation question. I have 10 finished mounts I have to haul abot 250 miles, thats about a 4 hour trip going 70 miles per hour. The only way I can travel with that many mounts (deer shoulder mounts)is to put them in the back of my truck (no topper). I plan on attaching them to a piece of plywood the shape of my truck bed. I have a small truck and figure I can get 6 in the back maybe 7. I know the weather will be fine, but will the wind in the back affect them. I have some ideas, like wrapping the necks to keep the wind of the hair. I was hoping someone has done this before and can tell me if this is a bad idea or not. I figure the worst that would happen is the hair would just get messed up and I would have to groom them again. Any thoughts or ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cory

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Cory

This response submitted by Steve D on 4/8/05 at 5:41 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.105.239.137

The problem is with that much wind over that period of time it may take alot more than grooming. The hair , (even though its dry) may get a memory, or even worse the roots may turn the opposite direction under the skin and you may not get them back. The other concern is if there are any drummed areas (no matter how small) you take the chance of the wind tearing through the skin, or wind getting under the skin thru a stich or something and tearing the heck out of the skin. Now im not saying it cant be done, heck ive done it before, not as long or as fast but, at the very least youll have some MAJOR grooming to do and chances of getting the mounts to look like they used to are slim. remember also the weather may be fine but its still exposed to humidity, sunshine and the wind will dry the areas that it hits alot more than the rest of the skin (uneven drying). If at all possible try to find a topper for your truck I know around my area I can get them all day for $300-$500 or at least figure a way to put a waterproof (just incase) tarp over them that wont be wind beating the mounts to death, Lot cheaper than 10 new mounts.

Cory

This response submitted by b on 4/8/05 at 6:52 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Steve is right on There is a lot that can happen in an open pick up bed. Soot from diesels, oil in the air, and just plane old road crud. My foster father transports many mounts 326 miles every year. He places them in the bed of the truck, and uses throw pillows and blankets as padding to keep them from rubbing. But a cap is a must. Try this. go to a big car dealership. And take a look out back, or by the body shop. Many dealerships remove the caps from trade in's an aluminum cap from them usually can be had for around $50.00. good luck hope this helps

tarp

This response submitted by newbirdman on 4/8/05 at 6:57 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

How about covering them with a tarp or maybe renting a U-haul trailer . Rick

How about wrapping them in dry clean towels.

This response submitted by Dun it on 4/8/05 at 9:09 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

You can wrap with clean dry towels, use T-pins to hold the towels in place, lots of T-pins. a line down each side so as to hold the towels in place where the towels cannot flap. You might wish to use some duct tape if the towels are shop towels.

U-haul

This response submitted by Cory on 4/8/05 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 208.155.30.69

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I thought about using a u-haul, but thought it would be too expensive. I called around today and ended up getting a 5 by 8 covered u-haul trailer for two days under 40 bucks. Alot cheaper than I expected. And I could easily fit them all in. Thanks again.

Cory

roll of stretch wrap

This response submitted by Mr. T on 4/8/05 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.77

Go to an office store and get a a roll of 18" or 20" wide stretch wrap and put several wraps around each one, then clear packaging tape a few times around the stretch wrap so it does not unwind in the wind, screw through the bottom of the plywood into the backboards. Water proof and wind proof and protection from oil,mud,rain,dirt and weather. Cut it off when you get there.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu