How to hang the head

Submitted by Adam on 4/10/05 at 4:50 PM. ( ) 70.246.27.142

Have mounted whitetail and the round bore hole to facilitate placement on wall is large enough but there must be weight at the bottom as it keeps pulling out of the wall. Okay, what should I use to mount to wall?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Easy!

This response submitted by Duckman on 4/10/05 at 6:07 PM. ( ) 64.136.49.227

Adam, just go to your local hardware store and pick up what's
called a sawtooth hanger, or if you want something fancier, most
taxidermy suppliers sell a hanger called the "finishing touch"
hanger which is what I use on my mounts.

find a stud in the wall

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 4/10/05 at 7:00 PM. ( ) 216.108.218.235

sounds to me your not hitting a stud with your screw in the wall.
Find a stud and your problems will be over.

How to hang the head

This response submitted by adam on 4/10/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 70.247.41.124

Thanks for the sawtooth hanger....will look for one.
Unfortunately, stud is not where my son wants his mount placed.

drywall hanger

This response submitted by mike d on 4/11/05 at 12:08 AM. ( ) 68.118.33.223

Get a dry wall screw insert that is rated for 60 lbs.
They are used to hang flourescent fixtures from the ceiling in commercial applications.
About 1/2" in diameter, self drilling plastic screw apparatus with a center hole that accepts a self tapping screw.
They have phillips scrwdriver slot across the center and you install them with a drill driver.
Will easily hold a deer mount.

Molly?

This response submitted by PJ on 4/11/05 at 2:04 PM. ( plubner@juno.com ) 63.124.127.96

I think its called a molly... I use them to expand in the drywall or one of those expansion fittings that opens up behind the drywall. They both bear weight well.

Toggle bolt

This response submitted by Bradlee on 4/13/05 at 8:54 AM. ( ) 12.214.237.79

They have wings that fold up and then you push those wings through the hole and they open. Put a washer and nut on the threads and tighten up. This spreads the weight out and it will not pull out of the drywall. Bradlee

Duh ! What should I do?

This response submitted by Carl on 4/14/05 at 9:38 PM. ( taxipop@comcast.net ) 68.39.109.49

I can't believe that it takes so many people to help this guy. Just use a telephone pole climbing bolt. Or maybe a railroad spike. Or maybe just have a monkey do it. For a couple bananas I'm sure he will figure it out. Find a stud and put the darn thing up.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu