Help Quick

Submitted by J on 4/12/05 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 198.53.240.50

Well, I've mounted a pile of deer, but I'm having trouble with this one.... It seems to have a big line, like a wrinke, but not one, in the front by the throat patch. I can't get the hair to lay flat, no matter what I do. I've worked the hair up, down, side ways, it just doesn't matter. You know how sometimes you have one that hit a fence or something and when you lift the hair, there's a big gash with no hair and it can be a pain to lay flat. It's like that, but there's no gash or missing hair. I usually card the front with panty hose until it's dry. This will hold that hair down I'm sure, but I'm scared I'll end up with a big line... Any suggestions?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

grooming adhesive

This response submitted by mk on 4/12/05 at 9:24 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.74

spray on hair stays where you want it

You chose a bad form for the hide

This response submitted by George on 4/12/05 at 9:36 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.66

What you're describing is the classic "cut throat" deer. This happens, usually on a full upright, alert form. The jaw line is perpendicular to the neck leaving a sharp angle between the two. Then you're mounting a late season, Northern tier animal on the form. The long hair running down the jaw line wants to continue straight. The hair running down the neck wants to continue straight. The hair at that apex, however wants to stick straight out, bisecting the angle, thus pushing the jaw line hair up and away, leaving the "cut throat". The only cure is to put clay or refoam the apex angle to round out the sharp corner. When you do that, it allows the hair to transition down the neck. The old McKenzie 7000 series forms were major culprits in this problem and were discontinued.

It's Not That

This response submitted by J on 4/12/05 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 198.53.240.50

No it's not that though. I'm mounting a Alberta Mulie and I'm using a J. Coombs semi-sneek form, a form that I've mounted plenty of mulies on and never had a problem. It's weird. Do you think brushing it so it's pretty good and carding it will do the trick ?

throat line on deer

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 4/12/05 at 10:36 PM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.12.190

J, 2 things come to mind. Getting the neck skin thin is required to have real flexibility for positioning the skin. I know, your thinking it hasn't been a problem before, but I would bet that the neck skin would not exibit the wrinkle line if it were really thin. Second thing, since it's already mounted I would work the skin more, stretch it wide to relieve as much pressure as possible and watch the hair patterns, sometimes a twisting motion will straighten out wierd spots. A Stout ruffer is great for pulling skin in small places on a fresh mount. Hair jells/sprays have their place and if all else fails go for it but the line you describe is caused by something and I would always prefer to fix the something rather than depend on hair dressing. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Weird One

This response submitted by J on 4/13/05 at 4:09 PM. ( ) 198.53.240.50

Ya, strange. All my capes are commercially tanned and shaved, so the thickness of the cape isn't it either. I tried moving the hair around in every direction and re-adjusted the cape. Still stood up, man what a stubborn cape. Anyhow, I finally got it to lay a little flatter, then I just carded it tight to dry. Hopefully it does the trick, boy never had that before, what a pain in the butt. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Fix that wrinkle

This response submitted by kT on 4/13/05 at 6:55 PM. ( barkeaterbabe@earthlink.net ) 207.69.138.6

Have you tried wrapping the neck securely with an ace bandage. I use them all the time when the hair has some wierd glitch in it and won't sit on the form correctly.

Panty Hose

This response submitted by J on 4/14/05 at 1:48 PM. ( ) 198.53.240.50

That's what I use on every deer I mount.. I think it has a chance to breathe a little better than the bandage would. I bet the bandage would work really well too though.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu