Remounting a deer head.

Submitted by Billie on 4/13/05 at 1:37 PM. ( ) 64.136.49.225

I was woundering if a deer head mount that was done about three years ago and was not done to the owners satisfaction could be redone on a different mount and if so how would you go about getting it off from the old mount to put it on a new one.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Remounting

This response submitted by Marc A on 4/13/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

Billie, you would be better off getting another cape. You could re-hydrate the mount if epoxy wasn't used, but you still stand a chance with slipping, and the cape will have some memory. Success depends on how the cape was handled the first time. I'd go with a new cape. Good Luck !

Billie...

This response submitted by Craig on 4/13/05 at 4:28 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

if you don't know the complexities of remounting some other taxidermist's work perhaps you aren't qualified to offer to do a remount better than the one previously mounted. Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should. Are you considering doing the remount for this person?

I do agree with Marc A. about replacing the cape though, especially with all the new methods of using epoxy glues and pastes. It might have been dry preserved with bondo ears, that would be challenging!

Just what didn't he like about the original mount?

possible

This response submitted by jewell on 4/13/05 at 6:43 PM. ( ) 68.222.18.243

Billie
It's possible as long as it was'nt put on with an epoxy hide paste,
I have remounted a couple of heads like you speak of, one was a dry preserve cape and the other one tanned. I rehydrated the area around the antlers with cold wet towels just enough to be able to get them off then soaked the head( form and all ) in a pickle to rehydrate.
I cut the cape all the way down the back of the neck to get it off of the form then soaked it in the pickle for about 3 days, scaping the skin side a couple times a day to remove the hide paste and caulking to allow the cape to rehydrate completly. they both had bondo ears i left them alone and just replaced the bases. all I did after they rehydrated was neutralize and mount in normal matter and both came out looking good with customers being pleased, its a lot of work so charge same price or more than normal and explain to the customer that you cannot guarantee it because it is risky or offer him a new cape at market value, Good Luck

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu