Thinking about doing a deer in a drinking pose...

Submitted by Amy Ritchie on 4/18/05 at 8:00 PM. ( Amy@Amystaxidermy.com ) 24.136.154.164

I'm toying with the idea of mounting a competition pedestal deer in a pose where he has his head down, drinking water out of a pond. Would it be acceptable to use a full sneak form as-is, and angle it down a bit towards the "pond". Or would the musculature change for this pose and require some altering? I have been looking at pictures of deer in this pose and can't quite tell (I'm not as smart about deer anatomy as I wish!)

Thanks,
Amy

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Check Joe Coombs

This response submitted by oldeadeye on 4/18/05 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 24.154.31.73

has a mount on his website like that one. not a pedestal,but might help you out..

Tell you what I did...

This response submitted by John on 4/18/05 at 9:05 PM. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 205.188.116.196

Amy did you notice the deer at the world show that had the running waterfall coming out of its back? That was mine. I used a full sneak McKenzie and altered the head a bit, I brought the angle of the head up just a tad. I had to do this in order to get the right "flow" but it seemed to work out for me. I talked to an individual that used to be on this site quite often until recently (wish he would return, he had a treasure trove of info for everyone to learn from) his comment to me was a full sneak is fine as deer can and do get into that pose while drinking. When I asked him if it was the correct pose as I didn't think it would look quite right his comment was "If the deer is in water up to his brisket and wanted to drink, then a full sneak fits the "BILL" perfectly".

[a supply company]

This response submitted by Buckeye on 4/18/05 at 9:18 PM. ( ) 68.233.97.63

Amy, [a supply company] has a few sizes of the "Drinking Deer". I've used some of his doe forms and was real happy with the end result. I'm sure the others would be just as nice to work with. Hope this helps!

Sorry Amy

This response submitted by Buckeye on 4/18/05 at 9:23 PM. ( ) 68.233.97.63

My title was'nt "A Supply Company" but I guess they have there reasons for not accepting it. I guess I could'nt help you after all, but from what I've seen of your work I'm sure you'll end up with something really lifelike. Good Luck!

Chest angle...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/18/05 at 10:42 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.131

You cannot just tip a full sneak down because the chest and shoulder angle would be wrong. A deer does not have to tip its whole body down to get a drink, it may slouch in the front, but most of the movement would be in the neck tipped down.

It was just pointed out to me...

This response submitted by Craig on 5/2/05 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.179

by that person you all want to come back to the forum, when a deer bends down to get a drink or eat, the length of the lipline into the muzzle shortens so I suppose that would be something to study in your reference. Not all forms take this into consideration especially if you decide to alter a full sneak. Also the skin bunches up in front of the brisket when they lower their heads and necks.

Amy, if you ever get the chance and can save up enough money, Bill runs a top notch program over at his place. It would be well worth the money to look into it. He is always open to emails and phone calls for the small questions.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu