I have a problem! Can you help?

Submitted by Leo on 4/20/05 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 216.99.185.50

Hello ladies and gentlement! I have a problem. I pickeld my first hide and it tourned out great. I took my hide and put it in a baking soda solution to neutralize it. When it was done i hung the cape by its nose to drip dry a little. I tanned my hide and then i measured it. I measured my hide at that point b/c i bought this hide and every one says to do my measurements after tanning it. Well any ways my nose to eye is reading 8" and my neck is only 19". I thank my nose stretched out a little. I looked up my form that i wanted from McKenzie's and the closest nose to eye measurement is 7 1/4". Can i fix this? Form i am looking at is a 4600 series full sneak. Thank you for you time. Leo

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

You stretched it

This response submitted by George on 4/20/05 at 1:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.196

Order the neck size mannikin. The face will fit.

?

This response submitted by Jason on 4/20/05 at 1:37 PM. ( ) 68.216.133.143

Don't know, but I would assume that the eye nose taken on the cape would be significantly different than if the cape were on the skull anyway.

Change out head

This response submitted by thaken on 4/20/05 at 3:00 PM. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.227.255.226

Leo I mounted a deer last season that had an exceptionally large head on it. The measurements were exactly the same as yours.

I didn't want to alter the head on the 19" form because it was smaller, thinner and scrawny compared to real head size.

I ordered a 8" change out head, cut the head off the form and attached the change out head. Everything fit like a glove after just a few minor adjustments.

Good Luck

Terri

You definately stretched it.

This response submitted by Todd B on 4/20/05 at 3:48 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.128

Just think about the extra weight a wet skin would put on the muzzle of the skin. Next time take all head measurements before skinning and then measure the the neck meat after skinning. That is the way most catalogs reccomend anyhow.

Todd B

Thank you for the info

This response submitted by Leo on 4/20/05 at 5:43 PM. ( ) 216.99.185.50

Thanks for the help. Leo

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu