repairing bullet holes

Submitted by rube on 4/20/05 at 9:43 PM. ( ) 71.98.8.226

Now I do know that you are to cut it and make the hole "football shaped". That way it sews flat. My first two deer mounts came out pretty well, except that the bullet holes, although not very noticeable could be seen. My question is, do you make the football run north-south (like I did) or east-west?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I make them East and West

This response submitted by George on 4/20/05 at 10:26 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.5

Though I've had disagreement, I know when I do the N/S, the stitch line appears when I groom the hair as it flows with the hair. When I repair a hole, I cut directly under the hole with the bottom arc. Then I cut the upper arc high enough to get over the cut hairs of the bullet. Sometimes that means cutting a large "football,but when I sew it back, the stitches are hidden completely by the upper hair that falls down over the incision. A tap with a tack hammer folds the seam under and the work literally disappears.

not really sure

This response submitted by mrdux on 4/20/05 at 11:15 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.183.254

Not really sure about the east-west, north-south thinking. I just make all my football cuts with the points being in line with the way the hair runs in that particular area. I do take a tack hammer to smooth rough stiches as it dries and use some cape-set (hair gel)to slick wild hairs down.

Key words, "tack hammer"

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/20/05 at 11:17 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.197

I'm with Geo on this one! If I know I have a repair hole I keep a good eye on it through the drying process and continue to work it with the tack hammer until it's right. Also, make sure you haven't trapped any hairs under your stitches. This will cause big problems. Jeff F.

Thanks everyone

This response submitted by Rube on 4/21/05 at 7:09 AM. ( ) 71.98.8.226

George- you always seem to have all the information

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu