question on bondo ears

Submitted by Matt on 4/26/05 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.68

Ive been reading about the bondo ear method lately and i want to try it on my next whitetail. But as ive been reading, i have found 2 ways apparantely i can do them. One was is to mix it with the resin and hardener and pour the bondo into the ear and shape it and smooth the extra back out and leave it this way. The other way ive read is to lubricate the ear with tanning oil and pour the bondo mix in and as it starts to set up and is hot, pull the ear out and sand it thin and smooth and then insert it in later. Then what would i rub it with hide paste and insert it back into the ear making sure the ear is wipped clean from tanning oil for good adhesion. Is this a competition technique or what? Or has the information ive read partly wrong? Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I use 50%resin and 50% bondo

This response submitted by Sarah on 4/26/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Also I use denatured alcohol on the outside of the ear. It keeps the ear cool while the bondo sets. You can also peel the back ear skins back some and trim up the none anatomical bondo away. Be sure to get clay and hide paste up and onto the back of the bondo. This will help you when setting the ears, giving you the smooth taper you need for the earliner, muscle transition.

Why?

This response submitted by Drew on 4/26/05 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.146

If you are going to all the trouble of oiling it up, then removing it, you might as well use an earliner and remove the cartilage to begin with and be done with it.

No Oil

This response submitted by C A on 4/26/05 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 70.113.36.67

Don't mess with the oil. Never heard of that method. Just mix your resin, hardener, chopped fiberglass, and bondo. Use an old butter knife or popcicle stick to push it into the ear, shape, trim the excess, done. There's a little more to it than that, but you get the idea.

Matt look up ear magic

This response submitted by paul e on 4/27/05 at 7:20 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.104.146

do some research on ear magic
you can do a graet job with out taking the stuff out
the ear magic was designed specifically for ears
it will not drum
i get mine from WASCO

One other thing

This response submitted by Mike on 4/27/05 at 9:51 AM. ( ) 209.206.208.173

I never leave the cartilage in and always use a liner, but I watched a Joe Meder video where he does as above with the resin and fiberglass chop, but he stress, Score the cartilage of the ear with a dull scalpel, He first cuts length wise about 1/4" apart and then across the ear 1/4" apart,and roughs it up with a rouffer, this breaks up the cartilage and allows the bondo to penetrate the cracks to keep the cartilage from shrinking. Have you ever removed the ear cartilage and let it dry out on you shop table? Then you know what I mean.

Ears

This response submitted by Mike on 4/27/05 at 4:12 PM. ( ) 205.122.13.194

I drill about 30 holes in an earliner then I mix my bondo and fibers. I poor in about a quarter cup into the ear. I then push in my earliner. I always figured that if the bondo didn't stick to the plastic earliner (Research Mannikins) then I have leather bonded to leather. The holes don't show. I put a couple of staples in the ear and remove them later.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu