Smelly Deer mount

Submitted by Lance on 4/27/05 at 12:58 PM. ( ) 64.136.164.35

Hi guys,
Got a quick question about a smell that a deer mount has.I already went to the archives but didn't find anything as to this problem. It seems as though the mount has a barn smell. I don't know what caused it. It was a commercially wet tanned skin and was fleshed properly. Never had an issue such as this before. I asked the customer to return the deer to me and I will wash n deoderize it for him and see what this does.. My question is.....what should I use to deoderize this mount? I was thinking of just a rewash in a laundry type detergent like era or tide. Would this be an acceptable fix to this problem? I know it is not anything I have done while mounting. I did 5 others that came in with this batch of skins and had no other complaints. Just at a loss as to what to try. any help would be greatful. Thanks, Lance

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Odor

This response submitted by Stephen on 4/27/05 at 1:05 PM. ( spankndope@yahoo.com ) 70.178.232.229

I would either try febreeze or a product called odo ban, you can get it at a Sams Walmart store...Hope this helps.

be Careful With the Odo Ban

This response submitted by b on 4/28/05 at 6:02 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

It will leave an oily film on the hair.

customer is right

This response submitted by jim on 4/28/05 at 6:07 PM. ( ) 63.227.252.186

I had a customer call me once about 15 years ago with the exact same "problem" I even paid the shipping, around 300. to get it back and then again to send it back "fixed". There was no smell! It turns out that his wife hated to have a mount in the house so complained about it smelling. I combed it down and sprayed some frebreeze on it and said nothing and thats all. He thanked me and has sent me trophies from all over the world ever since. When I flew out to visit him recently he told me the story and he also has gotten a divorce with her. I am glad I just paid up and shut up at the time and "fixed" it. ie. Lance get it back, be nice and go from there.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu