Found deer antlers

Submitted by Lucy on 4/27/05 at 10:06 PM. ( lucy@mixmox.com ) 24.63.48.229

Hi! I found one white tailed deer antler in the woods, a five point. A friend says I need to put a sealant on the end to keep the mites out, other wise they will crawl inside and eat it. If this is true, What should I use, where should I get it, and how do I apply it?
~Lucy

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Your friend is wrong...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/27/05 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.135

I am not sure where your friend came up with that idea. I have never even heard that before. I have a lot of nice antlers that I keep in the house and there has never ever been any bugs near it. You would have more problems with mice or other rodents chewing on it, but only if it is in an area infested with them.

That's news to me

This response submitted by Buckeye on 4/27/05 at 10:51 PM. ( ) 68.233.97.63

Like Drew, I have alot of sheds in the house, shop, and even in some of my mounts. I've had some of them for about 15 years and they look the same now as they did then, so I think your antler will be fine to. Hope you find more!

Classic Example........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 4/28/05 at 9:20 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.93

.....Of the point, "There are NO stupid questions...". Lucy, you were very smart in asking the question, you could have done damage to the antler, had you used the advise of your friend. As for the other half of that old saying, "...There are only stupid people!" Lucy your friend definitely IS!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu