short bottom lip

Submitted by Billy on 4/28/05 at 1:00 PM. ( ) 66.160.82.105

I have a whitetail deer that came in with a lower jaw that is about 1" shorter than the upper jaw so the lip lines are off by that much.

My question: is there enough stretch to get the lip lines
to work out right? maybe shorten the top and stretch the bottom.

Thanks!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Mount how it is?

This response submitted by Joe T on 4/28/05 at 2:50 PM. ( Joseph_Turc@yahoo.com ) 65.25.170.38

I would mount it the way it was in the woods, Shows charactor.

If your going to do this take some rough measures off the head with the skin on then cut the bottom lip off the form and adjust to fit. You might have to recreate part of the upper palltete if you can see it.

Did you

This response submitted by woodchick on 4/28/05 at 4:02 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.196

go over the cape with the customer present? Also, did you already skin the cape off the head? Just talking from experience here, If the cape is off and you havent gone over this with the customer you might just want to stretch the lower lip over the regular mannakin. you should have enough there. I have got a few of those in over the years and mounted it the way the mannakin depicts. If you had shown the customer the underbite and he wanted it mounted that way or not, that is his decision. However, if you mount it with the underbite, and he didnt really notice it when he brought it to you,the customer might be unhappy with his deformed trophy.
I mounted a striped bass with a deformed lip ( I guess it had been hooked ) and the customer actually accused me of screwing up his bass or even changing it. The deformity was not noticable in the pictures with the mouth closed but with the mouth open (as he wanted it). the deformity was definately there. and I mounted it so. What a mess. I offered to fix it to the norm and he( after a bunch of pissing and moaning) didnt take me up on the offer. I hope this helps a little good luck

"Parrot Beaked" deer

This response submitted by George on 4/28/05 at 7:53 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

This overbite is not that rare and I've done dozens of them over the years. Order the form to fit the E-N and mount as usual. The bottom jaw will expand quite nicely and will fit easily on the correct form. No one wants their trophy looking like Mortimer Snerd (but that's probably before you time. LOL)

Hehe...

This response submitted by Sam on 4/28/05 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

Buck-Teeth!hehe couldn't resist

I did

This response submitted by Tony J. on 4/29/05 at 7:53 AM. ( ) 208.157.8.237

one like that for compition last year. I thought it was a rare thing, but the guys at the show told me it wasn't so rare, I took pics of the head before I skinned it, for the judge. I even did an open mouth on the deer. I actually had so much lip skin I didn't have no where to put it. You should have plenty of lip skin to tuck into a normal form.

I will second the above

This response submitted by Chris on 4/29/05 at 10:15 AM. ( ) 68.118.138.104

I had a deer that I mounted last fall for a guy that easily had a 1" over bite. When I called and asked him about whether he wanted the deer mounted that way, he hadn't even noticed it. I mounted it on a regular form with a normal lip line and it turned out just fine (That mount even pulled a High red ribbon at the World Show). I've heard that they are not extremely rare, I suppose they are extremely common down south with all the inbreeding that takes place. :)

Chris

CHRIS!

This response submitted by George on 4/29/05 at 12:45 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

I don't know if I liked the tone of that last sentence. Aside from the syntax and semantics, some of the highest population density of deer are now in the northeast.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu