sweating deer cape

Submitted by roger peets on 4/30/05 at 10:32 AM. ( rjpeets@dreamscape.com ) 216.171.187.72

i looked in archives, couldn't find what i was looking for. i got a wet tanned deer cape i want to mount up. i took alot of meas. i got the form but to me it does look big in the head area. my question is i rehydrate cape overnight, size up on the form & it's not right can it go back in the fridge for another day or two without problems.at least to i get it altered. i know you usually sweat overnight. was just wondering if anybody had to leave them in the fridge for a few days due to unforseen circumstances. many thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I have done it

This response submitted by Mike G. on 4/30/05 at 11:29 AM. ( ) 12.32.34.61

I had something happen once that took me away from the shop an extra day. I left the deer cape in the fridge and all turned out o.k. It's not something I'd recommend but circumstances change and sometimes your in a pinch.Mike G.

Why would you "rehydrate" a wet tanned hide?

This response submitted by George on 4/30/05 at 2:01 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.204

That's only used for dry tans.

Some guys do rehydrate wet tanned capes...

This response submitted by Craig on 4/30/05 at 2:52 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.179

or should we say resoak without the sweating part and no, it doesn't hurt to keep them in the refrigerator for a few days. I've kept them in there for 4 days and had no problems whatsoever.

Experiment with a piece of hide to see how long it stays good before it slips as the type of tan might influence the results.

roger

This response submitted by paul on 5/1/05 at 7:55 AM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

you dont have to rehydrate a wet tanned cape. if you took proper measurements you may need to get in there with your hands and stretch the head area a bit, along with everthing else, gather the skin up and stretch back to the orginal proportions, some tanneries will pull out of the tanning solution and hang to drip excess out, the weight of the solution will stretch the skin, you will need to get everything back in order

i meant sweat

This response submitted by roger peets on 5/1/05 at 9:21 AM. ( rjpeets@dreamscape.com ) 216.171.187.145

thanks for the replys, i meant to say sweat not rehydrate. the directions say soak w/kemal 4 to wash oils out of hair then rinse. this is the first wet tan that i'm doing. thanks again.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu