BLEACHING A DEER SKULL

Submitted by ADAME on 11/18/05 at 3:24 PM. ( ADAME2M@YAHOO.COM ) 66.134.161.154

can any body tell me how to bleach a deer skull. I kill him and I want to mount it. I've done some research on how to bleach the skull but nobody talks about the antlers if I put them on the peroxide they will bleach also so how can i bleach the skill without bleaching the antlers. Antlers have a nice brown color want to keep them that way
ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

SOAK in water in a ....

This response submitted by John on 11/18/05 at 5:32 PM. ( ) 24.177.78.254

...sealed container once a week spray off with a water hose until its clean. Then soak in 40 volume peroxide until white. You may bleach the horns if you do paint and blend to match.

You have to remove all or almost all the meat before soaking.

John

As simple as...

This response submitted by Pete-pec on 11/18/05 at 7:06 PM. ( petepec2000@yahoo.com ) 207.118.183.175

Don't submerge the antlers in the solution. Insted cover the head with a towel soaked in peroxide. wrap a couple towel strands around the bottom side of the antler bases. You can stick the head in a bucket, just don't fill the bucket past the antlers. I soak the head for 24 hours, pouring peroxide over the back of the head onto the towel a few times during the soaking. Rise with water and allow it to dry in the sun of under a bright light.

Bleaching a skull

This response submitted by Luara on 11/26/05 at 8:48 PM. ( ) 68.158.248.250

I was hunting this morning and found a deer skull in the woods. It it completely void of tissue and stuff... it must of been out there for a while. It is a small three pointer. Amazing thing it is whole. One antler is white and the other is tan. The skull is black on one side from lying in the mud I would assume. Being the age of the skull would it still be safe to soak in peroxide to whiten it? I want to hang feathers on it so I can hang it with all my other Native American items. I just don't want to damage it.

After whitening a skull, what type of light?

This response submitted by Gismo on 12/4/05 at 8:43 PM. ( chevy5864@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

Pete you said to allow a skull to dry in the sun or under a bright light, Is that florescent or incandescent?
This time of year we get such little sunlight.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu