chronic wasting disease

Submitted by tom on 12/1/05 at 1:57 PM. ( ) 12.163.94.13

during our pa bear season i stoped at a bear check station.while i was there i took the time to look at some of the free info they had.the paper on chronic wasting disease caught my eye.to make a long story short,there was 6 or more states listed and they basicly said that the animal shouldnt be brought into the state at all .(including skull plates) being an avid hunter and taxidermist it brought up a few questions. if this is a problem in other states then why dont they take a little more action in get'n the word out befor its spread to our state.i just happened to have a local deer processer with me that had just cut up 4 deer from one of these states without ever knowing of the problem. it all seems kind odd to me.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Because Tom...

This response submitted by marty on 12/1/05 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...When it comes to one states' DNR and another, it's like the right hand not talking to the left...

Tom...

This response submitted by tomdes on 12/1/05 at 2:23 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.22

The info on CWD has been out in the northeast INCLUDING PA for a good 4-5 years now. Hell, 3 years ago they shutdown NY from imported whole elk/deer from Western infected states. I guarantee PA is all over CWD like flies on crap, and I'll bet you don't have to look very hard to find info on it. Check PA's DNR site, I will in a few minutes and I'll bet there's tons of info on it. Those guys that brought in deer from an infected state probably just broke the law. I'm in the heart of NY's CWD containment area and it's not fun, the meat processor's have been hit the hardest.

Tom...

This response submitted by tomdes on 12/1/05 at 2:44 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.22

Their site did suck, but I did find this pubilcation they put out in Sept. under their Ag. dept: http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/lib/agriculture/animalhealthfiles/chronicwastingresponseplanjuly05.pdf

I don't know why the DNR wouldn't be working closely with the Ag. dept on this, they are in NY. But in any case CWD is here to stay, it was only a matter of time before it got here. Many western states have had it for years and we'll just have to adapt like they did.

pA is doing it

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/1/05 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 67.138.13.149

Theyre looking at the isolated case in NY as well as WV, two borders, and being proactive. They have begun random testing of wild deer in PA. Mistakes are made and honest accidents do happen, but everyone by this time should know that only dreesed and/or processed animals came be received from the listed states.

thanks

This response submitted by tom on 12/2/05 at 6:04 AM. ( ) 12.163.94.13

it just hit me funny is all.theres no doubt that it'll be here in time.being in this business i figured it to be something id get tired of hearing about not something id stumble accross at the weigh station. hell i almost got the rubber glove treatment for take'n an extra pack of smokes to canada with me . i guess im the last to know everything. ha ha ha happy hunting !

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu