Why are taxidermist upset, when they can fix the problem?

Submitted by steve on 12/2/05 at 2:44 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.200

I'm new to this site, so please don't regard this post as intentionally trying to piss someone off. Rather, regard this as only my opinion. Here goes, I've read alot of taxidermist that bitch and moan about recieving deer heads or other game, either skinned improperly, not frozen right away, kept in ice, kept in the refrigerator, too much neck meat left in the head, damage due to harvesting, or simply just ignorance! My question is this: Why in the world would you accept the job of mounting that game animal if it came to you in that condition? If you are a full-time or part-time taxidermist, wouldn't it be wiser to turn that job down? More importantly, would'nt it be better to just adopt a clear and precise policy of what you expect? OR is it just a simple matter that one doesn't want to turn down business, at any cost? I know if it was me, and I am not a taxidermist, that I would hand out a flyer to my customers stating exactly what they should do in order to get a nice mount. If one came in that didn't quite meet that criteria, I would at least tell the customer that it's quite possible their mount will not turn out. Even then, why take that chance. What I'm getting at is this, by accepting every animal that comes your way you:
1. Make your job much more complicated
2. Add to the risk the customer won't be happy, and neither will you
3. Make less money because you put yourself in a situation you can't win.

I just get tired of reading posts where the taxidermist bitching about their clients and yet do nothing about it. I'm interested in hearing what you guy's and gals think.

Steve

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I refuse the work

This response submitted by Rich P. on 12/2/05 at 2:58 PM. ( ) 69.23.215.60

When I get something in that rotted or cut to short I usually refuse the work or try to find a replacement cape if he wants one. Every customer that comes in I give them a field care guide explaining how to take care of their trophy and a few of them will still bring me stuff thats rotten or cut wrong. Some people just don't get it.

Not Bitching

This response submitted by Marc A on 12/2/05 at 3:00 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

I just state the facts, not bitchin. There's not more to do to these capes than normal. Yes, there is a chance it want come out; but if you make it clear to the customer that it might not be, or is no good, then there is less disapointment when it falls apart. I feel that I should try to make good on the work I get. (unless its slipping) Now if you take in questionable work and don't inform the customer of what can happen; then shame on you. Some guys get more work than they can handle, and have the chance to turn down work. Others need all they can get !

You

This response submitted by Becky P on 12/2/05 at 3:16 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

can't hand out a care sheet to everyone. Most of the ones that come in, in-less-than-desirable-condition, are usually new customers you've never seen before. Which very quickly get informed of proper field care, but after the fact.
If you turn EVERYTHING down that comes in not perfect, you would soon not have any business at all.
And then there are the ones that just expect everything to be fixed even if they have to pay more for it. They either do not or will not listen, especially if it means a little more work for them in the field. They think we are miracle workers. BP

PAY THE BILLS

This response submitted by murphy on 12/2/05 at 3:18 PM. ( ) 216.166.183.38

I'll try to answer some of your questions. i'm not a pro just an novice that loves this site.
Why except bad condtion capes, easy to pay the bills
Next question is easy to. That why these guy's are called taxidermist thats their job. and I'm sure they let the customer now what to except out of their bad cape.
As far as these guy gripin about this its no different than a pro football players talkin to other pro football players about bad reffrees, bad players or low pay. To nontaxidermy people it sounds like bitchin, but to these guy its life.
And this is not a entertainment site its a information site.
hope this answers most of your questions and I hope I did'nt step out of bounds as a novice answering this thanks all

murphy answer

This response submitted by michael p. on 12/2/05 at 4:27 PM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

dito, dito, dito......you hit the nail on the head!

Only upset with myself.....

This response submitted by Breck on 12/2/05 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 71.137.24.29

....if I'm the one that made the cut. If I slip-up with the knife I'm mad at myself. I don't get upset when customers screw up but I do try and educate them. As for as repairs go, occasionally I will charge extra but most times I let it slide and I just see it as part of the job. I prefer as anyone would, to recieve and work on a perfect cape, but I also see these as personal challenges to repair or even attempt something that someone else would consider useless.(not rotting capes) I have on display in my shop a picture of a mountain goat that jumped off a 500 ft mountain and rolled among sharp rocks and was sliced to ribbons, no description could come close to how terrible this goat was. Next to that picture I have the "after" picture, I show these to customers who are concerned about whether or not I can repair their damaged cape. It always puts them at ease.

Why turn it down when you can make $ off it

This response submitted by Brent on 12/2/05 at 4:53 PM. ( ) 207.224.114.147

We do accept capes in bad condition and of course we moan and groan about it. However, when we give the client a choice of two options. 1) Pay an extra fee ($50-100) to fix the problem or two buy a new cape. Either way we are making $ and we have never had a client complain about it because after we educate them they know what they did wrong.

well in my opinion

This response submitted by norm on 12/2/05 at 5:56 PM. ( ) 206.168.40.4

in my opinion, you dont drive or buy a care if you dont know how to drive it, if you dont know how to cut or care for your trophy in the field thats your problem. You cant expect someone to drive you around all your life anymore then you can expect a taxidermist to tag along on your hunts. Also, an taxidermist does not know you dont know how to care for your trophy, why dont you go in or call one and ask questions, taxidermist arent mind readers. Also, im sure most taxidermist do refuse the work if its something that cant be fixed or is slipping or rotted out. you dont see a body and fender guy knocking out millions of dents on a care if its been totaled. just my opinion.

lol

This response submitted by norm on 12/2/05 at 6:01 PM. ( ) 206.168.40.4

dammit, spelled car like care, see what i mean, you dont see me being a spelling teacher if i cant even spell CAR! haha

steve

This response submitted by tom on 12/2/05 at 6:02 PM. ( ) 12.163.94.13

do you go to red lobster and order a steak ? then why take your hide to a meat processer ? most places charge the hunter to cape a deer when the taxidermist will do it for free.time is money in any business ( full time or part time) . id much rather put my time in to the quality and detail of your mount than try to fix what someone else broke.thats just my opinion.

Uh, tom, we need to talk

This response submitted by George on 12/2/05 at 7:30 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.137

I don't do skinning. On small game, OK, that's part of the game, but deer, bears, buffalo, pigs, etc. that's what PROCESSORS are paid to do. I don't do free either. If I'm forced to skin out something big, it's $100 and that's only if I get the taxidermy job.

i agree

This response submitted by norm on 12/2/05 at 9:59 PM. ( ) 206.168.40.4

i agree with george. i was asked recently if can drive out to a guys house and skin out some animals that were to be sent out to another taxidermist, and i was asked to skin, salt and send them out, sure i was gonna be paid, but whatever i was gonna charge was probably too much for them and then i wasnt even gonna get the job,to much trouble to not get the full job, i passed.lol

I see some people who are going to have problems.

This response submitted by Rorie on 12/3/05 at 12:48 AM. ( ) 67.141.92.228

Just this week, someone was bitching about a purchased deer cape, edges of the ears were freezer burned, he could to turn them all the way.

My thoughts were, learn to do that, dont be lazy, just do it and shut up it happens. Get use to it.

Someone else was bitching about buying a fox with a whopping quarter sized hole in the side.

My thought were this, Damn man I cut more than one hole that size fleshing. Hell five minutes its sewn shut.

Wet capes? Where to hell did you learn taxidermy? Get with the program and shut up and get the problem worked.

Bloody capes, just part of being a taxidermist.

Where to hell did you panty wast grow up?

I expect to skin the heads, wash the blood and dirty off and sew up the holes I cut, if the client has a couple nicks in it I will shutup and sew them up.

You are going to cut a few holes fleshing, when you hit tick bites so what to hell are you bitching about!

Hey Rorie

This response submitted by JC on 12/3/05 at 6:14 AM. ( ) 204.62.206.252

were to hell you from? In country of my home,capes dirty holes with bloody no happiness with smiling.
P.S You no try on cape!

jc

This response submitted by hoopie on 12/3/05 at 6:53 AM. ( ) 172.157.113.75

you hit the head right on the nail

steve

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/3/05 at 4:55 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.200

I know what youre saying, but it varies depending on where a guy is from. Some areas the guys HAVE to take the work, as the numbers are limited, so they either charge accordingly, or grin and bear it (and maybe bitch alittle). We use this site to vent sometimes. Around me, the biggest problem is convincing the meatcutters that we as taxidermists know a tad bit more about where and how to cut capes then they do. But, for that $1 balance of a deer hide they can collect, theyll cut the cape too short, not knowing what it costs to replace an irreplaceable cape, in some customers eyes. The arrogance I run into is sickening, especially when I try to be professional, and get called arrogant in turn. So, I try my best to educate customers, attempt to approach meat cutters...thats a good way to determine the difference between a meatcutter and a BUTCHER...and from there, bad capes = me turning the customer loose on the butcher. Let him explain himself to the customer. Its always the same bs..."Oh, we work with a taxidermist, he knows right where to cut them. Yox doesnt know, he just thinks its got to be his way or no way." Come to find out old Yoxy DOES know, as does most of you guys. So, I reccommend meatcutters who are open minded and professional. That helps.

im impressed

This response submitted by tom on 12/3/05 at 5:51 PM. ( ) 204.11.87.184

im with ya on the big stuff george .i guess i pretty much figure the skin'n in with the over all price.i havent been involded in this very long as you know.one thing i have found is that a good cape makes things so much easier.doing it myself i know ill only have a couple minutes fleshing around the eyes if anything at all. some of the capes i got from processers had enough meat left on them to feed the hungry.then you got the ones that set for a week until the guy gets the deer cut up. i always figured that if ya want something done right then its best to do it yourself.lol

Communication

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 12/4/05 at 1:32 AM. ( NaturesTrohies@aol ) 205.188.116.137

I know where my people get there deer processed and they know what "cape" means. If they didn't, then a friendly call wouldn't hurt a thing. It's incredible what can be accomplished when people communicate. Peace. Jeff F.

haha, friendly call!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/4/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.174

After the first short cape, I call or even stop by, catolog in hand, so to be as professional as possible. Nope, you just run into the typical NY arrogance too many times. Then they blame it on you! Jeff, it aint the midwest out here!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu