I need advice with mini flesher

Submitted by bob on 12/3/05 at 12:42 AM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@aol.com ) 205.188.117.6

I just got my Flesh All Mini Flesher. I am playing with it on the back half of hides that have been caped out already. I need practice on it for sure. i know not to expect to be good at it right away, but i have issues. or should i say i have issues with this flesher. this flesh takes the fat and meat off so fast compared to doing it by hand, but i get kinda like grooves of fat left on the skin. i have adjusted the guard all the way down, all the way up," a no no " , and different places in between, also trying to move it at different speeds while doing it. i get the same results no mater what. is this just normal. when i flesh my capes by hand they are smooth as can be with no fat or meat left on at all. any advice or tips on what i may be doing wrong. thanks in advance
bob

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I think you are talking about the tiny grooves.

This response submitted by Rorie on 12/3/05 at 1:28 AM. ( ) 67.141.92.228

The ones running verticle?

If this is what you are talking about its the blade.

Not the adjustment.

Adjust the back gaurd so it is perfectly even with the lip of the blade. Now to the front.

Lay your tuning steel across both gaurds, NEXT BUMP THE SWTICTH. you will see a high spot and see the blade touch the tuning steel.

If you cannot see this, clean with lacquer thinner and rub a magic marker on the outside edge of the blade color is solid.

Now place the tuning steel across the gaurds, bump the switch, you can watch the blade slowing and see the high spot, Work it down with the steel.

You may need to adjust the gaurd minutely toward the center of the blade 1/32 of an inch, run the machine and check the high spot.

Keep working until the blade is perfect.

Bad Advice

This response submitted by James on 12/3/05 at 10:34 AM. ( ) 207.69.1.12

The mini flesher blade comes with a serrated edge blade. That is what tears the fat off. Keep your guard very close to the edge of the blade. You control how deep it cuts by the angle of the tool.

Mine is

This response submitted by Steve Collins on 12/3/05 at 9:36 PM. ( ) 69.139.191.81

set so that in the center of the wheel it is even with the guard and the right side is further out. I use the center for delicate areas cause it doesnt cut as deep and then when on around the neck and shoulders i turn it a little to get the deeper cut from the side. The grooves are normal cause the blade is serrated. I should think that the grooves would provide for better adhesion on the form anyways.

The grooves are........

This response submitted by Paul B on 12/4/05 at 9:23 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

I only get grooves when I move the flesher too quickly acroos the hide. Try moving it slower and you can get a smooth flesh side with a little practice. Having the pressure (with air models) set around 75 lbs helps with control too.

Paul B

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu