class for scoring antlers

Submitted by nate on 12/4/05 at 6:23 PM. ( natese@localnet.com ) 209.240.240.182

I live in central Minnesota and was wondering if any could piont me in the right direction if there is someplace around here that gives a class on scoring antlers, if anything like that exists.
thanks. Nate

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Class

This response submitted by John Hey on 12/4/05 at 6:42 PM. ( ) 24.147.192.28

Hey Nate, I don't really think a class is necessary. You might be able to download scoresheets from the Boone and Crockett website, and these are pretty clear about where to take your measurements. I learned off of these sheets, and my scores ae usually within an inch of an official scorer's. All you really have to learn is the location of each measurement, and that all fractional measurements are measured in eighths. Anything else is complicating a simple subject.

Measuring

This response submitted by Wayne R on 12/4/05 at 9:15 PM. ( therodds@msn.com ) 63.235.25.185

Is there a club in your area that keeps records of deer or any other game? Maybe one of the sports stores or sporting clubs may know of one. If there isn't, you can always contact one of the bigger
organizations and ask for an application to become a measurer for them, if that is even what you want do. They hold workshops all over the country every year and invite people from areas that they need more measurers in. For the most part John is right when everything is pretty much sraight foreword, but if you encounter commom base points, webbing, palmation or something out of the ordinary then it could get more complicated.

Option

This response submitted by Wayne on 12/4/05 at 9:35 PM. ( ) 65.54.155.54

I should have added that you can contact Boone and Crockett, or Pope and Young, and order one of their manuals on measuring. Everything you need to know about measuring all North American game is in there.

Another Option

This response submitted by Curt on 12/5/05 at 2:05 AM. ( krm722@hotmail.com ) 66.44.187.14

I use a raculator now. I had been doing it with a tape and it took me to long. Also I put out the word before deer hunting season that I would do a free unofficial score for anyone that brought their deer in. Well that got me several new customers I am happy to say. The raculator cost about $130.00 I think but I made that up right away with all the new faces that came in to my shop. Just something for you to think about. I should also mention that it comes with a CD that shows you where and how to take the measurments.

thanks

This response submitted by nate on 12/5/05 at 5:10 PM. ( natese@localnet.com ) 209.240.240.195

thanks guys your input was greatly apprieciated

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu