Do you carge to score customer deer?

Submitted by Michelle W on 12/5/05 at 12:23 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.om ) 138.162.128.38

I have had about 6 customers ask me if I would score their deer for them this year. I was just wondering if you charge to do it? It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to score one because I always like to double check. What do ya'll think? And how much would you charge?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

zero

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 12/5/05 at 12:42 PM. ( ) 71.209.66.1

but I only score them if I am mounting them. Just part of the business.

nothing too..

This response submitted by tomdes on 12/5/05 at 1:10 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.13

If I take them in I usually score them and age them for the customer. I enjoy doing it so it's free...

We charge

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/5/05 at 1:11 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.12

we charge $10 to do it since we are using the official score sheets. It is like everything else, if it takes time and money to do then charge for it. No different then doing antler repair, fixing hide damage done by customer, adding a panel to the mount, etc. All extras cost more.

depends

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/5/05 at 2:11 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.65

Official scorers here dont charge for this. I sure wont, as if I did, that score better be dead-on, or Ill hear about it. I learned a long time ago not to put myself into that position! If theyre a decent customer, and/or I have time, Ill take 15 minutes and rough score it, all in the name of customer service. Im not dissagreeing with any of the above opinions, just pointing out a different take.

I tell em to bring a case of beer, or the java jar !

This response submitted by Buck on 12/5/05 at 2:55 PM. ( michael.rodgers@web.de ) 83.176.142.243

I go at it at a diffren't angle. Case of beer, ect, maybie the guy has an extra fish in the freezer at home,that I need for somethin, Ect..sometimes I get really BIG fish in exchange for a bit of friendly customer service ! "One hand washes the other !" Buck...

Scoring Deer

This response submitted by Leapin on 12/5/05 at 3:51 PM. ( ) 24.255.234.79

I can green score a deer with the customer writing down the measurements as I measure in about 10 to 15 minutes. I know it is not going to be precise but if the rack is that big let them get an official scorer. The customer usually adds on 5 to 10 points anyhow. But you know the customer is always right.

No charge

This response submitted by nmtaxi on 12/5/05 at 3:52 PM. ( ) 65.125.36.138

I score everything that comes in for my own personal knowledge. It has really improved my field judging skills.

Every Head.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/5/05 at 4:04 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.115

.....Leaves my shop with a Official Safari Club Score Sheet. No matter how large or small. NO Charge! Even when I get a head in for scoring that I didn't mount I tell them "no charge" before I even begin.

Go to Boone and Crocket

This response submitted by Mike on 12/5/05 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 208.252.179.25

I go to this website with the customer there:
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/ScoringYourTrophy.asp?area=bgRecords

I then have them do the measureing and I enter it into the computer. I then print out the score sheet. This way they learn how to do it themselves. I don't charge for it. I know of one taxidermist that is an official scorer and he told me that it brings him some deer business.

Scoring

This response submitted by jmkrahn on 12/5/05 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 205.200.57.69

Here in Manitoba, our scoring organization does not allow scorers to accept money for their services. If your animal makes the record book, and you wish to enter it, there is a small fee to cover costs.The actual scoring is always free of charge.

OK

This response submitted by Michelle W on 12/6/05 at 12:00 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.38

Thanks... Guess I am all for giving it to them free.

I don't charge either

This response submitted by Aaron on 12/6/05 at 9:25 PM. ( ) 64.33.137.188

I do not charge either. It only takes 10 minutes or so and I have fun guessing the score first. I am not exact but it gives them a good idea of where there buck scores and if it is even close to being good enough for an official scorer to mess with. I do agree that if something takes time charge for it but as was already said if they are good customers it gives them something to be happy about while they are patiently waiting for their animal.

JM Great point, sounds like some people don't read

This response submitted by George on 12/7/05 at 5:54 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.7

If you are a certified scorer in MOST organizations, you are not ALLOWED to charge anything to score an animal. I know B&C, P&Y as well as Buckmasters specifically admonish scorers for asking a fee or taking a stipend- even if it's for gas- to score deer. SO, in my book, it's unethical to charge to score an animal. If it's too time consuming, then simply don't do it. That's the ONLY CHOICE most people who score choose. I'm not certified in any organization, but I score them for FREE and if the scores are close to record book quality, I refer them to the guys who can get their names printed in "the book".

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu