11-21 till 11-29

Submitted by Gary on 12/5/05 at 6:26 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 207.69.137.40

A W/T was killed on Monday, I also was hunting in the same area. I mentioned that I done taxidermy, to give me a call if he wanted it mounted. I hadn't recieved the cape and horns as of Monday the next week. I talked to the gentleman that had killed it and he said he would bring it to me when the deer after processed or if I wanted I could pick it up. The next day I went and after searching for a few minutes it was found. The whole head and skin was setting in the back of the shop on a bench along with a few other heads. It was placed in a trash bag and I was gone. While there you could smell rot, I assumed it was from all the capes/heads/carcasses laying in and around the place. I got home later that evening and proceeded to cape it out. Man, it was rank, the wife was upset when I came into the house! The whole brisket area had a green tint as bad as any coyote and it was already slipping above the brisket on the shoulder. I went ahead and split/turned/rough fleshed it and placed in the freezer until 2 days ago, I then placed it in Krowtann (easy now George, LOL). Today I get a call from the gentleman who said he had talked to the processor who said there was absolutely no way the cape could have been bad, he has already saved another cape to replace this one. Am I missing something here ? It was raining the day it was killed, 8 days setting inside, already turning green. Is it just me or was this cape mistreated ?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I also applied

This response submitted by Gary on 12/5/05 at 6:29 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.40

Stop-Rot, around 1/2 a bottle.

capes too far gone

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 12/5/05 at 9:16 PM. ( mhoneyATmindspringDOTcom ) 207.69.6.240

Gary, I always figure that to get the best mount one must get the parts to the taxidermist sooner than later. A week or more after the shot and the chance of spoilage increases greatly unless frozen. You can't know how long the head set out after processing the meat and neither can the customer. If it was slipping already when you started work on the cape I would have called the guy right then and saved my time. Much better to show the customer the problem before you work on it as it is clear it's a mess and you aren't to blame. Less clear for the customer after you start work. Most casual deer hunters have no idea just how fast spoilage can happen. I see problems like this every year along with other hunter inflicted destruction of good capes. Just lay it out to the customer---it was in the meat cutter's hands for a fat week and in poor condition when you got it, you tried to salvage it but looks like it might not work out. Most times when you are up front with people they understand. Good luck, Aaron H.

I called him

This response submitted by Gary on 12/5/05 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.15

I called him within 2 hours of turning the cape and informed him that the cape might not work out. He in turn called the processor who thinks capes can set for a week at room temps. and be no way possible for them to go bad. The customer isn't blaming me, he was just informing me what the processor said. I just hope he doesn't think you can do the same thing with the whole deer before butchering it. LOL

Some of these processors really make a person wonder

This response submitted by Craig on 12/5/05 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

Then to wrap them in plastic bags so they can sweat up a storm in their raw state. You can't get through to some of them either.

hey gary , get in good

This response submitted by michael p. on 12/6/05 at 2:11 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

with a with a hopefully popular, but a must be respectable, and dependable proceccor and praise each others great work to all that will or want to lisen and build on each others business exclusively and when your two businesses cut into the other guys pockets, he'll be begging you to advertise and refer your customers to him and when he does simply say nope and inform that sorry lying bastard that you intend to leave him hanging out to dry just as he did you! (or atleast thats how i hope it all works out for you !)good luck buddy, atleast youll sleep better and be a richer man in all ways by being honest, and it sounds like maybe your customer is just letting you know who you can or cant trust in in future business deals!

good hunter knows better

This response submitted by skinner-2 on 12/6/05 at 6:57 AM. ( ) 24.31.167.81

Most processers in our state are not allowed to put deer capes in
coolers. Your average hunter thinks they are and wait to get their cape when their meat is done.Big mistake.It only takes one ruined cape for them to learn. ALL the shops i know call the people the day
they skin the deer to come and get the mount, if they dont come and get it their the one that gets the blame for a bad cape.People dont tell you they called and it took them a week to pick it up.

Trash Bag

This response submitted by Gary on 12/6/05 at 7:35 AM. ( ) 207.69.138.135

I placed it in a trash bag when I picked it up because it was raining like crazy outside and there was no way I was placing that cape in the front of the truck. It was in the bag for only around 4.5 hours until I got home from work and then it was caped out.

Sorry, Gary...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/6/05 at 9:22 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

I misread, but I wasn't blaming you for doing anything wrong. YOU didn't do anything wrong by placing the cape and head in a bag until you got home. Some processors however, do this as common practice.

I always have the grocer bag my milk because I had one gallon leak in the back of my SUV one winter. I didn't realize it until the first few warm days and let me tell you it wasn't pleasant.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu