Velvet Antler Question

Submitted by Justin Morgan on 12/6/05 at 9:27 AM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

I have a large 8 point rack covered in velvet shot a couple weeks ago here in Indiana. I have caped the deer and removed the antlers and skull cap. The antlers underneath the velvet are not large and round like august and september antlers in velvet. I brushed on a coat of Knoblach's velvet tan and am letting the antlers dry. Once the antlers thawed, I noticed that I could gently bend the tines a little. I am wondering if I need to try injecting some of the tanning agent under the velvet? I assumed the antlers were hard by their shape and the time of year the deer was killed. Also, after drying for a day, the velvet still moves around on the antler. Will the velvet adhere to the antler once the preservative dries or will it always move around?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Preservz it

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/6/05 at 10:10 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.137

we inject all our antlers which are in velvet with it and it works great. You can get it directly from Rittel, but a lot of other supply companies carry it as well.

Preservz it

This response submitted by John on 12/6/05 at 9:37 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Evelyn, Do you also tan the velvet? Is it necessary to inject the antlers that are completely hardened? Can you brush the preservz it on the velvet? I know, too many ?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu