swollen head

Submitted by Mike on 12/6/05 at 12:08 PM. ( ) 216.239.28.194

Have a w-tail deer head. Measures 8" from eye to nose. The nose/mouth region is extremely swollen/puffy. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Have not caped it out yet., was wondering what to expect. It is an older looking buck, damaged tines/ possible fighting injury? Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

probably hung by feet head down

This response submitted by paul e on 12/6/05 at 1:00 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 70.156.89.99

cant say for sure what happened to yours
but there is a good chance it was hung head down
the fluids will pool in the head and face

Hung by hind legs

This response submitted by Bill on 12/6/05 at 2:00 PM. ( ) 69.168.254.50

The hunter hung the deer by its hind legs and what you have is fluid (plasma) draining down into the head which can not escape. Expect a mess when you skin it off.

I had one like that about

This response submitted by Trapper on 12/6/05 at 5:45 PM. ( ) 67.149.234.213

5 years ago. Talked with the Mi. wildlife biologist w/dnr. He said that it was "edema", its when the animal is fighting off an infection. It almost looked like a watermelon on the inside. Took a whole roll of paper towels to skin!

<><>TRAPPER MAY BE RIGHT <><>

This response submitted by EARL on 12/7/05 at 12:27 AM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

I had two this year,one was 9 1/4 eye to nose 21 inch neck,didn't look right at all..When skinning out the puffy head his lips ect.had hundreds of tiny puss sacks (like pimples) all through his face/muzzle..The other one was around 8 inches eye to nose and was swollen with what seemed like scar tissue,hard to flesh in the face area..Wasn't like the other one..Last years swollen head was just loaded with yellowish water,tooks tons of towels to skin it out,none of these were hung from their feet,they were shot this way..I did hang one my self that happened to,it's head looked like a foot ball..

hanging upside down?

This response submitted by jt on 12/7/05 at 9:22 AM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

It's not from hanging the deer upside down. If anyone is hanging their deer by the head they may want to reconsider. Blood is not going to rush to the head if you hang it upside down and NO, you're not going to get a bloody mess if you do. where do some of you come up with this nonsense?

Edema is correct

This response submitted by George on 12/7/05 at 6:34 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.137

Had one that looked like Baby Huey with a bulb nose last year. Biologist stated exactly what Trapper did.

And you know, that "Hanging head down" fits right up there with the jerks that slit the throat that allow a dead deer to BLEED. Excuse me? How is it going to "bleed" when the heart is no longer pumping blood and exactly what did the bullet/arrow channel do on impact?

Hey George is Back!

This response submitted by Trapper on 12/7/05 at 8:57 PM. ( ) 67.149.234.213

Good thing, Cecil is going through withdrawals!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu