Ear Repair

Submitted by RD on 12/6/05 at 12:35 PM. ( rcarlson@oct.net ) 158.247.221.78

I recently mounted the deer I shot last year, and as the ears dried, they curled substantially. The cape was commercially tanned, and I used the bondo with the fiberglass and resin already in it. I used buckeye hide paste. I have searched this site and read tons of posts on how to avoid this, and I now know that I didnt split them all the way apparently. I did score the cartilage, and I did clean with lacquer thinner. I haven't been able to find much info on how to fix them now that they are dry. Is it possible to open the seam back up, and completely redo the ears, or is rehydrating/carding my only option? I am pretty unhappy with the ears in general. Is there any hope with this mount, or am I just screwed on this one?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

suggestions

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 12/6/05 at 12:52 PM. ( ) 71.209.66.1

I think you are going to have to resoak the head at least and get the cape back off and get the bondo out and start over with those ears. You might try using a heat gun and heating the ears up one at a time and straight them out by bending and holding, wet them down good first by putting a wet towell over them overnight so the skin is flexable, that might work. You may have to inject superglue after you reshaped them to stop drumming. You used to much hardener in the bondo so they set to fast and then the ears dried to fast after that or else you tried to make and made the ears to thin.

repairing ears after mounting

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 12/6/05 at 11:31 PM. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 207.69.5.57

RD, There is a remedy for your problem but like many repairs there is some risk. Provided that you are ok with the ears other than the curled and bent portions I would wet the ears down and wrap with a damp rag then cover with plastic bag. Check next day or two for ears to be soft on the edges. Once ears are rehydrated carefully split near the edges on the back side of the ear and seperate back skin from the cartilage. Use a sharp scaulpel and open down to the edge of the bondo you put in when you mounted the deer. Once all is open and the skin is very soft blow dry the ear skin a bit and then add to the bondo ear using Apoxie-sculpt to complete the ear. Watch the ear tips over the next several hours making small adjustments as needed. The Apoxie should be all you need to hold the ear skin in place or you could use zap a gap just on the inside edges. A repair like this is not going to give "competition" results but should make looking at that deer lots easier on the eyes. Enjoy, Aaron H.

RIPED EARS

This response submitted by TROY on 12/24/05 at 12:51 AM. ( DTHTHORPE@NETZERO.COM ) 4.155.132.215

I LIVE IN P.A. WHERE THEY TAG THE DEER IN THE EAR,SOME CUT IT WITH A KNIFE!ANY ONE HAVE OUT THERE WITH THERE INPUT ON FIXING THESE SLICES.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu