Overbite

Submitted by Sam on 12/6/05 at 5:18 PM. ( sam22bennett@hotmail.com ) 207.177.14.30

This weekend was the Iowa Shotgun Opener for deer. Well, My dad filled our tags with 3 nice bucks. We hung them by the antlers overnight in below zero temps before I got a chance to cape them. I took one down and noticed that its top jaw protruded about an inch past its bottom jaw. I just figured it was from hanging, but today I looked at the field photos and confirmed that it had an overbite before it was hung. I this gonna be a bugger to mount? I know it will take a bit of form altering and it's already gonna be a bugger since it was shot just below the throat patch. But is there anything special I need to do to mount a bucktoothed deer?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I don't foresee a problem

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/6/05 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

depending on how much of an overbite we are talking here. But you most likely can taxi the skin in place without altering the form. Just measure the eye to nose like you usually would. I bet you once you skin that deer and have the hide tanned, there is not going to be sign that that deer had an overbite. We had weird deer before too, that ended up mounting just like a regular one.

Thanks

This response submitted by Sam on 12/7/05 at 12:31 AM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I'll try it. Just was hoping it wouldnt take too much extra form altering and such.

why are you hanging them by the rack?

This response submitted by jt on 12/7/05 at 9:14 AM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

Why are you hanging the deer by their heads? hang them by their feet if their going to get mounted not the head.

overbite

This response submitted by Laurier on 12/7/05 at 9:55 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.0

I've had a couple of bucks with over 2" overbite, after is is tanned it will pull in place, you may have to stretch it a little, but it will go.

jt

This response submitted by Sam on 12/7/05 at 5:25 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I hang them by the antlers, not the necks. I also don't hang them upside-down as the liquids will run to the face and make a mess of skinning it let along measuring it.

WRONG Sam

This response submitted by George on 12/7/05 at 6:48 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.198

First and foremost, hanging a deer by the neck/head/antlers/ears will make the venison "strong". When's the last time you saw a cow hung by anything other than the hamstrings? Ever wonder why? It's because by stretching the neck, you draw ALL the muscle tissues in the neck, back, and hams taut and as the meat "ages" the tissue distend in this way becomes extremely tough. SECONDLY, regardless of the temperature, all deer should be skinned out immediately. The skin acts as an insulation barrier and exhibits bacterial growth between the skin and the meat. Even seen an unskinned COW in a butcher shop? Ever wonder why? THIRD, if field cleaned properly, no fluids will accumulate in the head/neck area. All fluids will flow through the chest cavity and up the trachea and out on to the ground. As discussed below, edema will cause fluid build up. Either fighting or piss poor shot site selection (AS IN NECK SHOT) oftentimes builds fluid up in these areas, but NOT from drainage.

Northern hunters sometimes do this

This response submitted by hedhuntr on 12/7/05 at 11:09 PM. ( ) 67.84.145.169

I see allot of deer hung this way (from the neck)it seems to be popular in the north like upstate NY, New England states and Maine. When we go hunting north and bag one the locals look at us like were crazy for hanging by the legs. Go figure!

hey George

This response submitted by jt on 12/8/05 at 8:56 AM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

George, it seems like every posting that has to do with hanging deer by the head, or sorry Sam, antlers, we are trying to get the same message across. like you said in another posting, it's like the old timers that have this idea that they have to slit the throat. Sam, hang your deer whichever way you want, but you are obviously far from being an expert. We are only trying to help you and give you correct advice. take the advice and do what you want with it.

HEY!

This response submitted by Craig on 12/8/05 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 72.224.242.104

I resent that! I'm from Maine, and EVERYONE I know hangs their deer buy the rear legs. The only distorted faces I see are the ones that get hosed down while their hanging, and the water swells the head up. Those World Famous northerners, The Benoits, would never hang their deer by the head. That's Taboo!

Thanks for all the great info

This response submitted by Sam on 12/8/05 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I was just going by what others have told me with the whole swollen face thing. I know i'm no expert, I never said I was; and George, I'm no butcher either. I'm still learning and these posts are the greatest way to learn, from those that are more experienced than I. Thanks everybody! Peace~Sam

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu