Post Rut Neck Shrinkage

Submitted by JB on 12/7/05 at 12:19 AM. ( mrjwbest@yahoo.com ) 64.70.24.58

I always use neck meat measurements for form ordering, but I'm wondering how many of you use hide measurements on post rut bucks, that have lost weight during the breding season. I'm asking because I wouldn't think a deer would shrink much at all at the "C" measurement right behind the ears after the rut, but 3 inches back could be considerably different on a late season buck?
The main reason I'm asking is because I have a buck with a 20 inch "C" measurement, and the measurement 3 inches back was only a little over 21. I'm in WI, and the peak rut is around early to mid Nov, and the bucks I have in the shop are mostly rifle season bucks, shot on or around nov 23rd. I would think that this buck should have had closer to a 23 inch or so 3 inches back from the ears. I'm going to order a variety of forms this year for test fitting, but I'm not sure on what type of swell to order for this guy, since I only took meat measurements, not cape measurements, and after doing 6 capes that day, I started wondering if I should have taken a cape measurement on a few of them, but they were already salted and dripping, so I left them alone. Any advice is appreciated..Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

thats easy

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/7/05 at 1:47 AM. ( ) 67.138.11.175

I see the same thing. Thats why I always check the size again after tanning shaving and letting out. Its usually the same size on early stuff, and I find they let back out on the later stuff. I order accordingly.

Wait

This response submitted by jt on 12/7/05 at 9:12 AM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

There really isn't a whole lot of reason to measure until you get your capes tanned and shaved. You'll get your most accurate measurement that way. A lot of times I'll measure before too just to see the difference but i wouldn't do it by measuring the neck. Just measure the cape after fleshing and prior to salting.

Generally Speaking

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/7/05 at 10:28 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.8

You can't go wrong when you use the meat measurements, afterall that is EXACTLY what the cape fit on. On deer that I don't have the meat measurement I generally test fit on another form to determine what to use. Keep in mind that your buck may have had some reason that it was not as swelled as the others, and the measurement you took is the correct one for that cape. Either measure it after it's tanned or test fit it on a form to figure out what you need. Unless it's the only cape you have, I'm sure that you will have forms on hand to do that with.

I still do the carcass

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/7/05 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 67.138.8.252

I always have, with anything I mount, so its habit. I get alot of info by measuring the carcass, neck muscles, dead or whatever. I just back it all up after tan, too.

You guys now I don't agree

This response submitted by George on 12/7/05 at 7:48 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.67

Noone will ever convince me that measureing the meat works "better". I can walk up to my dog and the skin "fits" him quite well. Yet I can pick him up by the scruff of the neck and there's a gap. Where did that come from? IMHO, the BEST method of measuring is to take the tanned hide and measure it as that's what it will fit. I measure over the hair with a tight tape and never have a problem, but on those hides I send out, I ALWAYS measure the neck of the hide and ignore any measurments I took from the carcass.

George, George...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/8/05 at 12:11 AM. ( ) 67.138.8.69

What am I gonna do with you? Grab that dog by the neck, and sure, his neck gets pretty loose. BUT, his a$$ sure gets pretty tight! That skins gotta come from somewhere. Ill stand by my way, and just call it opinion.

LMAO Bill

This response submitted by George on 12/8/05 at 10:32 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.69

But that's not true. See, I have this triple chin and when I grab it, my beer gut doesn't go away.

what i've been doing

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 12/8/05 at 10:56 AM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

it measuring real tight over the hair before I cape it out, then measure it over the neck when it's caped and try to find an average between the two. I had one buck in particular this season that the hide itself after caping out had to be close to 3/4 of an inch thick. Since I have a fleshing machine and shave them pretty close I figured I lost quite a bit when I thinned it down, so I'll up the size of the form closer to the hair measurement. So far I haven't had any problems getting the cape to fit.

what i've been doing

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 12/8/05 at 11:57 AM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

it measuring real tight over the hair before I cape it out, then measure it over the neck when it's caped and try to find an average between the two. I had one buck in particular this season that the hide itself after caping out had to be close to 3/4 of an inch thick. Since I have a fleshing machine and shave them pretty close I figured I lost quite a bit when I thinned it down, so I'll up the size of the form closer to the hair measurement. So far I haven't had any problems getting the cape to fit.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu