Wall pedestal

Submitted by NicolasB on 12/7/05 at 2:24 PM. ( ) 64.18.184.156

For the first time ever, i would like to mount a wall pedestal whitetail deer. I expect to purchase the Joe Meder form from McKenzie.

I would like to know how to proceed to finish the edge of the opening shoulder.

I know that is not easy to explain in few words.

That could be great to be able to insert pictures int this forum. All other huntig forum allows to do so.

Thanks

NicolasB

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

The hide is glued to the...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/7/05 at 3:46 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

edge of the form so the hair keeps flowing with the shoulder. I like to run a thin layer of bondo to both the back and the edge of the form. Smooth it out with a rasp before it sets too hard and it really strengthens this edge. I trim the hide even with the edge of the form being careful not to cut the hair. Trim it with a sharp scalpel after the glue is set. The back can be covered with a number of different things, leather, texture paint, fleck stone paint, etc. Some people run some braided cord around the edge, inside along the hair, but I'm personally not into that look.

That's my few words.

Here is what I do

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 12/7/05 at 4:15 PM. ( doug@ddtaxidermy.com ) 12.40.253.102

I cut a thin slot into the form about 1" in from the edge. Then when I mount the deer, I trim the skin about a 1/2" longer and tuck the skin into this slot. You can then cover the remaining area with what ever. No need to use cording to hide a cut edge on the form.

Go to the McKenzie website

This response submitted by Bryan on 12/9/05 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 67.37.48.80

Go to the link below. It has text and pictures on how to do it.

http://www.McKenziesp.com/KB/pedestal_backs/instruction_template.html

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu