Skull Soaking in Lake

Submitted by parsh on 12/7/05 at 9:34 PM. ( ) 208.32.149.74

I live on a lake wiht lots of neighbors. Would I offend my neighbors and my wife if I soak a skull in the lake? Plus it is now wintertime and the water is cold. Will the cold keep the skull from coming clean? Trying my first European mount.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

If it has antlers?

This response submitted by Randy Martin-Kootenai Custom Skulls on 12/7/05 at 9:49 PM. ( ) 65.19.234.25

they will fade and turn white. Cold water will slow the process though. Several ideas if you search the forum under the topic "maceration".

drop it in the pond

This response submitted by Dave Trail on 12/16/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 70.252.131.139

The method I use for european deer head mounts here in the eastern part of Kansas,is tie a rope on it and throw the complete head in a pond.Depending on the temperature they can be pulled out in March and all flesh and tissue just falls off with no real work involved. Afterwards let the skull set outside somewhere where the marvels of the insect world can clean up anything left on the inside. Mix a bath of water with a couple of cups of bleach to soak overnite. Set the skull out in the sun to dry and its done. I've done this for a number of years and had great sucess however the last years head had a strange brown division line on the tines where the mud actually stained the antlers. Good Luck

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu