Antlers In Velvet

Submitted by Justin Morgan on 12/8/05 at 4:26 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

I have a large 8 point rack covered in velvet shot a couple weeks ago here in Indiana. I have caped the deer and removed the antlers and skull cap. The antlers underneath the velvet are not large and round like august and september antlers in velvet. I brushed on a coat of Knoblach's velvet tan and am letting the antlers dry. Once the antlers thawed, I noticed that I could gently bend the tines a little. It is the third day and the velvet still moves around on the antler. I tried to inject some of the tanning agent, but cannot get the needle far enough in to inject it.

1. will the antlers harden up and loose their flexibility?
2. will the velvet dry and stick to the antler or will it always be able to move on the antler?

I'm trying to make sure the Knoblach's tanning stuff does what I need to do to maintain the velvet. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

We use preservz it

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/8/05 at 5:15 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

and it does take several days for the velvet to harden. Brush on another coat of the vevlvet tanning mix you got and repeat that step if necessary for a few days. The velvet should harden over the next few days.

Strange

This response submitted by Breck on 12/8/05 at 5:37 PM. ( ) 71.137.17.218

Very strange that it is velvet at this time of the year.
I killed an axis deer in velvet and the antlers were soft and rounded, they had a bloody pulp in the core of all the tines. I would either have them freeze dried or scrape the velvet off and cut the antlers in sections and bore out the bloody core, re-attach the tines with bondo and rebar and then send them off to Research Mannikins to get the artificial velvet applied. They do an exceptional job!

Evelyn

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 12/8/05 at 6:29 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

Thanks for repeatedly answering my posts. Will the antlers themselves harden also? Like I said before, I can bend the tines by hand very easily and was wondering if they would harden like normal antlers. Also, have you ever dipped velvet antlers into a bucket of solution, or will the brushed on preservative do the job? I just want to make sure the tanning agent gets where it needs to go (which i assume to be the skin the velvet is growing out of).

They bend.....

This response submitted by Breck on 12/8/05 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 71.137.17.218

....because they are undeveloped and have a bloody pulp core that will rot. A tanning solution is for fully devoped antlers that are in their final stages and the core is solid bone.

breck

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 12/8/05 at 7:40 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

These antlers are not soft and rounded like you axis deer was. They have the shape of hardened antlers. I cannot insert a needle into the antler, ruling out the possiblity of a soft core. The deer was shot 2 weeks ago. These antlers are in their final stages of development. I have been posting about these for a week now and the majority of answers involved preserv-it or knoblachs tan brushed on. I have researched and decided on my intended preservation method. I appreciate your help, but do not intend to cut these antlers in pieces, drill them, bondo them, then send them somewhere to get "fake" velvet applied.

Listen

This response submitted by John on 12/8/05 at 8:34 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

to Evelyn and keep brushing the velvet tan on the antlers.

Maybe a doe?

This response submitted by Dirk on 12/8/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 72.224.242.104

I just took in a deer still in vevet. A small four point. When the hunter turned it over to gut it out, lo and behold, it was a doe! She was full of milk too. She had all the features of a doe except for the head gear. The antlers were hard except for the last inch. Just to be sure they don't spoil, I'm having them freeze dried.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu