Ear Liner Choices. Opinions

Submitted by Bob on 12/9/05 at 1:05 AM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 64.12.116.200

I have been using plastic earliners from reasearch manikins. part no. E-106-p with butts. They have worked good for me for over 10 years. but this year I am spending more time on better quality. I do very good work and my customers are all happy, but I am willing to try new things on my own deer. I would like some input from you guys and gals out there as to what your favorate ear liners are. With the ones im using, i staple the ear in place till the glue dries. this prevents the drumming that i got on the first few deer i did. that and beter glue. Any ideas?
Thanks Bob

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

home made

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 12/9/05 at 5:15 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 209.158.43.178

I make mine from a good set of ears taken off right where it meets the skull. I made a mold from these and then you take celastic and and form it over the mold. Or you can get a set of acu-ears from Research Mannikins and try them by taking celastic over those to make a set.
As for glue, you can't beet Epo-Grips epoxy the quick set and no need to staple.

eppleys

This response submitted by r. peets on 12/9/05 at 8:34 AM. ( ) 216.171.187.40

i like eppley earliners, especially now that he has the large size. as for glue, i'm hooked on Epo-Grip liqid fast set. i have used smooth out epoxy in the past with good results also.

Bob, staplers went out in the 90's

This response submitted by George on 12/9/05 at 8:54 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

My choices tend to be either the Eppley or the McKenzie Natra-Look Back (seems like the back ears fit much better than the alert. I always remove the butts anyway.)

And switch over to a glue that actually holds the liner to the ear within minutes. Staples always leave dimples. Epo-Grip Liquid Fast Set has been my choice for years now.

I thought alot of you guys

This response submitted by Ray on 12/9/05 at 11:21 AM. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 4.23.225.73

prefered EAR MAGIC? for all your ear work.

eppley

This response submitted by tom on 12/9/05 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 198.77.44.82

i use the eppley and buckeye hide paste.i scuff'm up with sand paper first then paste. sounds like most people use epoxy but i havent had a problem yet.

thanks

This response submitted by bob on 12/10/05 at 5:03 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

thanks for all your suggestions. i was looking to improve what i do now. i thought i had a good glue in the apoxy adhesive i changed to. i guess ill get some Epo-Grip and give it a try. thanks again for your input.
bob

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu