Old Antlers

Submitted by Don on 12/10/05 at 8:56 AM. ( ) 69.212.188.195

Someone recently asked me to mount an old whitetail rack they have had with a cape from this year. The rack has been outside for a couple of years and is bleached out. What can I do to restore it before mounting?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Stain Them

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 12/10/05 at 11:04 AM. ( ) 12.59.56.78

There are a lot of ways to stain them back to their original colors. To to www.godscountrytaxidermy.com and look under the services tab. There is a european mount that I did for my dad. The antlers were completely white before I stained them. I used potassium permanganate to stain them. There are commercial antler stains in most of the taxidermy supply catalogues. Some people use wood stain. Hit the orange search button on the left and type in antler staining. There is plenty of ideas in there.

IF......

This response submitted by Breck on 12/10/05 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 71.137.83.109

....they are porous you'll need to seal them first and then sand them before staining. Otherwise the stain will soak into it like a sponge and will have a single, solid, uniform color that will look "stained"

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu