Broken G3

Submitted by pepcreek on 12/11/05 at 12:02 AM. ( peplincreek@aol.com ) 207.200.116.138

I've had a 10 pointer brought in with a broken G3. The person wants it repaired. I have used a wire and Epoxy-Sculpt in the past. Is there anything new out there I am not aware of for proper antler repair?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Try Epo-Grip Antler Repair

This response submitted by George on 12/11/05 at 9:46 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Build your armature just as you already do and the Epoxy Sculpt is great for roughing your antler in. Then apply a thin coat of the Epo-Grip. It is VERY STICKY so use plenty of Windex on your hands and on the tine. Form it like you want and smoothe it out evenly. In 10 minutes it will be hard, but let it cure overnight. Next day, sand it with a very fine emory paper just to dull the surface. Then stain it. This is the ONLY epoxy that I know of that accepts stain. Then take Vaseline and buff the tine. It takes a little practice, but on a few rare occasions I got lucky enough to not be able to see exactly where the tine had been repaired.

Thank You

This response submitted by pepcreek on 12/11/05 at 11:11 AM. ( peplincreek@aol ) 207.200.116.72

Thanks for the help, I read the poasts alot and have learned alot from all of you. Again Thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu