Can a chest mount still be salvagable if the head was cut?

Submitted by Joel on 12/11/05 at 12:21 AM. ( http://joel.beadles@uwrf.edu ) 24.245.49.220

I'm an amateur hunter and don't know anyhitng about taxidermy so please bear with me if this seems like a dumb question. I was grouse hunting in north-western Wisconsin about 2 weeks after rifle season for whitetails was over. I found a trophy deer who had apparently been shot in the leg and starved to death. It had died within the week and was fairly fresh. I was paranoid about predators and critters eating the carcas. So, I cut the head off with a pocket knife about 5 inches from the ears to later find out the person who's land we were on might want to mount the whole chest. Is a mount still possible? and if so, should i go back and get the shoulders and rest of the neck? Can taxidermists fix these types of things or did i really screw up in cutting too little of the head off?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

you screwed up

This response submitted by terryr on 12/11/05 at 12:38 AM. ( homsolut@hotmail.com ) 12.207.33.102

you can keep the natlers and have it put on another cape that is the right length - if you cant find anyone let me know

Be careful

This response submitted by wolfe on 12/11/05 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 12.217.4.187

Not sure about Wisconsin law, but in Illinois it is illegal to posess any part of a deer that you find like this.

JOE

This response submitted by Leo on 12/12/05 at 9:47 AM. ( ) 67.140.200.105

Hey Joe! Keep the horns and by another cape for it.Its that easy. The hide has a high risk of bacteria the hide is no good.It all depends on how big the neck you want so you are probly looking around $100s for a hide give or take. Good luck.

No Good

This response submitted by Marc A on 12/12/05 at 11:02 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

Look on the bright side Joel, the cape would have been bad anyway ! Even if you hadn't cut it !

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu