Need help with ears

Submitted by Tom on 12/11/05 at 8:34 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.200

Im new to taxidermy. I bought a video from WASCO by Sally Dames on mounting a white tale. On the first deer I did, the ears didnt seem to fill in right. They look like they set too far back from the antlers, and there seems to be too much skin there too. Any tips for me on my next deer. thanks in advance.
Tom

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

did you use earliners

This response submitted by lee on 12/11/05 at 8:39 AM. ( ) 70.110.35.230

or bondo? if you used the pre made celastic earliners the butts are usually too long and need to be cut off. we need more info to be able to help you out.

yes

This response submitted by Tom on 12/11/05 at 8:41 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.73

Yes I did use ear liners. The trouble I had was too much left over skin that I had to fill with ear base. That made the ear seem too far back from the horn base. any ideas? thanks again.
Tom

Tom

This response submitted by Marc A on 12/12/05 at 10:56 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

Too much skin shouldn't be a problem with ear placement. You place the ears where they belong. Use good referance. Place the ears in the correct location, and taxi the skin to the proper locations. Don't try to pull all of the skin in one direction. If you are using a good glue, you should be able to get it to stay put. I like to use a large pin in the base of the liner to hold it in place. Good Luck !

Tom

This response submitted by John Morley on 12/12/05 at 12:32 PM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

Save the next deer head that you skin. Freeze it and pull it out when it is time to mount the next deer head. Study where the ear canal is located. This should help.
www.realisticmounts.com

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu