Reattaching antlers

Submitted by Hess Taxidermy on 12/11/05 at 10:33 PM. ( hesstaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 216.37.167.246

I got in 2 bucks on Friday (12-9) here in PA. The one had one antler that fell off when the women shot it and the other both fell off. Well the one with only one antler on, that antler came off when I was cutting the skull off. I was just wondering what is the best way to reattach these? Should I just get those antler pins from McKenzie or drill and screw the antlers back on? I planned on using the original skull plate so I have the right distance between the antlers. Thanks for any help. Kevin.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Here's my method

This response submitted by Craig on 12/12/05 at 12:12 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

what I do is drill a clearance hole up into the antler and through the skull plate. Then I took a 3/8" lag bolt and ground the edges flat, like square stock. This is to keep the antler from trying to unscrew off the bolt once you epoxy it in. Then I fed the lag bolt up through the skull plate and epoxied it all together with some two part epoxy and held it until it kicked. Make sure you get that epoxy up in the antler good and over the head of the bolt on the underside of the skull plate. I also use Bondo to set the antler plate. You could also drill some small holes in the antler base and set some nails in place for some extra insurance that it won't spin off when the customer picks it up by the antlers. Just fill those holes in with epoxy clay and touch up with some paint when finishing the mount.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu