Gluing Ears

Submitted by Mark on 12/12/05 at 12:44 AM. ( redneck2493@aol.com ) 64.12.116.200

I am useing ear liners but the glue i am useing is not holding. Is there any kind of glue that is good for ear liners?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Well, there's all kinds of things you can do.

This response submitted by Hogger on 12/12/05 at 2:43 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

First you didn't say how you are prepping the ear and liner? Your cartilage should be removed for one. You should clean the inner ear with laquer thinner. Your liner should be cut to have a relaxed fit to avoid drumming. You need to scuff your liner with sandpaper. I like to drill 1/8th inch holes in mine maybe every half inch apart as well. Then use a good earliner adhesive like one by Epo-Grip. I've used majic smooth as an earliner adhesive and that works really well too. OR... you could use the bondo method and get a perfect fit everytime.

I have to say...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/12/05 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

don't use lacquer thinner as a cleaner. It leaves a residue that prevents the epoxies from sticking. I used to think otherwise until I had some drumming in a couple of ears. They had that "relaxed fit" that Hogger refers to and they still drummed. I switched to acetone as a cleaner and it solved the problem. Just make sure you use a respirator with either method you choose.

Dawn dish detergent or Kemel 4 and water would probably be sufficient to remove the oils in the tan so you get good adhesion also. Just makes sure it is rinsed out good and toweled dry.

Epo-Grip fastset works great. Remove the cartilage. Just make sure you prefit the liner first and work one ear at a time. I've used Buckeye Supreme with satisfactory results also but prefer the epoxy as once it kicks and cools the ear is basically done.

I

This response submitted by Doug on 12/12/05 at 2:06 PM. ( ) 67.1.97.19

drill the holes as well. Clean inside the deer ear with wire brush and Acetone. Then I coat the ear manican(not the ear butt part of it) with fiberglass bondo and you have a set ear in 5 to 10 minutes. Hope this helps.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu