thin red membrane on deer cape

Submitted by Matt on 12/12/05 at 7:08 PM. ( ) 207.89.155.82

Is it alright to leave that small 1/16" reddish colored membrane on a deer cape, salt dry it and send it to the tannery. It's a pain to get all of it off. If I peel it off, it gives me that white color. I mean there is no chunks of fat or meat on the cape. It is fleshed well except for the thin membrane. Am I being to paranoid by having it dead white, or is what i mentioned perfectly fine? Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Fine

This response submitted by J Best on 12/12/05 at 7:28 PM. ( ) 64.70.24.58

As long as the red meat and fat are removed, and everything else split and turned, let it dry and send to the tannery.

<><>JUST MY OPINION<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 12/12/05 at 8:28 PM. ( ANTLERSANDWINGS@COMCAST.NET ) 68.82.184.251

I hate seeing some one possibly getting mislead,I personally think your red membrane your talking about is RED MEAT..I might be wrong but I don't think so..I would remove it,only takes a minute and you have a much cleaner job/skin...Earl

Sorry about misleading

This response submitted by J Best on 12/12/05 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 64.70.24.58

Same as last post, but RED MEAT in caps.

1/4" cure depth

This response submitted by Kristi on 12/12/05 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 65.214.41.72

I recently read that the salt cures 1/4 inch depth. I wouldn't want to get close to that, but you're probably ok.

Are you already going over it, but finding it hard to flesh deep enough? If so, I'd invest in a box of those surgical blades. They're only like $0.22 a blade, and I think they make things so much quicker and easier. The membrane slides right off.

Matt, I have to agree with Earl on this one.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 12/13/05 at 8:55 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.127.215

I gather from reading your post that you are doing your fleshing by hand and that wet membrane has a tendency to slip and slide around your efforts at removing it.

You might want to check this article out:
www.hidetanning.net/StopRotMammal.html

Most of your questions you haven't even asked yet are probably already covered in the article.

WAITAMINNIT!

This response submitted by Glen on 12/13/05 at 9:01 AM. ( ) 70.104.127.215

So that I don't mislead......the membrane is actually called the hypodermis, and it should probably be considered about the same as you would digestible meat. It is pretty rich in hydrophilic proteins, that's the "water loving" proteins. That's the reason for that swelling and sliming you get when it comes into contact with water. From personal observations, it always seems to take a little longer for "some" of the milder acids to "work" through that membrane.

I'm with J Best

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 12/13/05 at 1:33 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.132

Salt usually has no problem penetrating the membrane you speak of and a good tannery shouldn't mind at all. You usually do more harm to the cape(holes or slices) when trying to remove it. Just make sure the chunks are removed. Call your tannery and see what THEY expect before you send it in.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu