What do you guys do ?

Submitted by Terry on 12/13/05 at 10:07 AM. ( mosman20@sbcglobal.net ) 69.148.176.174

I had a customer come and pick up his son's deer head yesterday. When I asked him if it was to his liking his comment was the neck looked alot smaller then he remembered. This deer was the smallest one I haeve worked on, with the hair on it was 14 1/2 behind the ears. In my search for the type of form he wanted I only found 1 that was small enough, and it was 14 1/2 ,just like the deer. I made it fit and it looked good. The only difference was how the throat lach was built on the form. It was a VERY short haired deer which also adde to the small look? How can I make this better with the customer?
Terry

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

that's an everyday thing

This response submitted by @ on 12/13/05 at 10:22 AM. ( ) 207.118.254.143

you'll run across many of those people, in his mind it's an ego thing remember your dealing with a hunter that will claim EVERYTHING he has is much BIGGER
Get it!
You didn't shrink his deer, his imagination just made it bigger than it IS.

terry try to measure it with them looking if you can

This response submitted by paul e on 12/13/05 at 10:44 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 70.156.89.99

you cant always do this especially if you receive it frozen
but i try to measure with the customer present
then if they still call you basically a liar
stand your ground
what it is is what it is
keep focused on what you can control
dont let them bring you down on what you cant
there are some customers i definately dont miss
and dont need
if you did your best to give them what you measured
the best is all any of us could do
ive also been taking a picture when checking the deer in
good luck
paul e

They were their

This response submitted by Terry on 12/13/05 at 11:02 AM. ( ) 69.148.176.174

He was standing there when I measured it AND when I showed him the form..some people just are never happy. I am lucky so far ,he is only the second one in 8 years

Tell him

This response submitted by Marc R on 12/13/05 at 12:45 PM. ( cftaxidermy@alltel.net ) 71.30.68.160

you used your magic deer shrinking fairy stick, and KABLAM, it magically shrunk....OR.....tell him to shoot a bigger deer if he wants a bigger deer! I'm also with Paul on the try to measure in front of them if possible. In all the years I've been doing this I've been fortunate to have some decent customers, and have not had this problem. I can usually pick out who's gonna be a pain in the arse, in the first few minutes, I just send them up the road. Marc R

They say that crap...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/13/05 at 2:52 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

because in their own scrawny little minds they now think they paid too much for the mount and it makes them feel better about their initial decision.

Well...

This response submitted by Marc A on 12/13/05 at 3:12 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

I had a guy drop off a 18in and when I asked him to show me one in the shop that was about the same neck size, he pointed to one with a 23" neck.

14 1/2" neck WOW

This response submitted by Doug on 12/13/05 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 67.1.101.213

He did probably have a pretty good look at the neck as he was carrying it out on his back out of the woods.

Here in Iowa we call those small fawns.

measure

This response submitted by Mike on 12/14/05 at 6:11 PM. ( ) 208.252.179.27

I always measure it right in front of the customer. I measure the inside spread, the nose to tip of nose on each side, the nose to eye, and the outside cercomference of the neck just below the ears. Those measurements are then entered into the work order/contract and the customer signs it. I also list any visible damage on the specimin and also ask the customer if there is any damage which is listed. When I cape the specimin I video tape any damage I might find. I also video tape the final measurements I take that are used to order the form. Finally, I video tape the finished mount and also take a couple photos of it.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu