rehydrate and fix eyes, lips after a year ?

Submitted by kevin on 12/14/05 at 9:06 AM. ( ) 69.210.19.180

Hey....Is it possible to rehydrate a deer shoulder mount to re-do the eyes and re-tuck the lips after its been a year? I'd like to fix some of my own personal mounts that were done early on that i'm not completely happy with. I used water based hide paste on these. is a year to long or can you rehydrate for years on out. they were pickled in saftee acid 3 days and Liqua tanned.

Thanks Guys
Kevin

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I'm not sure but-----

This response submitted by Ryan L on 12/14/05 at 9:13 AM. ( ) 64.136.49.227

I've taken sets of antlers off of numerous deer mounts and replaced them with different sets of antlers. The last one I did was pickled and tanned in the exact way that you described and mounted with water based adhesive. I submerged the areas that I wanted softened in plain water until the skin was soft and pliable. Some of the area around the eye was soft enough for me to be able to reshape the eyes to a look that I liked better. Like I said, I don't have a ton of experience doing this but I think it could be done. Someone else will have to verify this though. Good luck-Ryan

Kevin

This response submitted by John Morley on 12/14/05 at 9:58 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

You should be able to do it. It may not be as soft and flexible as a new cape but you should be ok. Good luck. www.e-zstand.com

Kevin

This response submitted by Jim on 12/14/05 at 10:09 AM. ( ) 67.141.106.244

Kevin, I just rehydrated a head that was three years old and had the lower lip pulling out. It was tanned with liqua tan. I simply used a washcloth, soaked it in water and taped it around the area I wanted rehydrated. I check it occasionally to make sure it was staying moist enough and in about 8 hours or so it was ready to rework. Hope this helps. Jim

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu