Unruly hair on a Whitetail

Submitted by Todd Dean on 12/14/05 at 2:19 PM. ( bull1400@yahoo.com ) 65.167.212.24

Mounted a whitetail about a week and a half ago. His hide was tight going over the form so I used a hide stretcher to assist with this. Now that he's drying, his hair is standing up in every place that stretcher was used...at the puncture sites. The dryer he gets the worse the hair looks. I've used a hide stretcher dozens of times but never had this problem before. Any suggestions as to how to get the hair to lay back down?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

stout ruffer

This response submitted by Johnny B on 12/14/05 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 24.171.36.47

Hi Todd,
Sounds like you need to get rid of that hide stretcher. Try a stout ruffer. They too can pull hair, if you're not careful. I've found a hide stretcher does too much damage. If the form was too big you'll never get the hair down, hair needs slack to lie down. Does that make sense? Test fit your hides and make they fit right before you commit to the form. Hope this helps.......John

That's what I was afraid of

This response submitted by Todd on 12/14/05 at 5:42 PM. ( bull1400@yahoo.com ) 65.167.212.24

Thanks John.....I sure was hoping for better news. I'll look into that stout ruffer.

If hide isn't dry yet

This response submitted by Bill on 12/14/05 at 9:54 PM. ( ) 69.168.254.50

If it isn't dry yet, groom with a thick gel hair set. Then take a piece of cheese cloth (or cloth from an old mesh tank top) that is about a foot wide and two feet long. With a T pin , pin the cloth under his jaw where it meets the neck. Pull the bottom of the foot wide section straight down the center of the chest and pin that so the cloth is taught. Now take the two ends and carefully pull those around the back of the neck and use more T pins to hold the cloth tight. Let the hide and hair dry 4-5m days , then take off cloth, regroom and repeat leaving it on till the mount is good and dry. I frequently do the same with pronghorns and mule deer- but in the case of the above don't pull the cloth tight. You can also use a clay -watewr slurry to rub in the hair to groom (it sounds crude), but when the clay is completely dry , it will brush out without staining the hair on a deer cape. Good luck.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu