Help! Mounted whitetail hair wont lay down......

Submitted by Todd Dean on 12/14/05 at 3:36 PM. ( bull1400@yahoo.com ) 65.167.212.24

Mounted a whitetail about a week and a half ago. His hide was tight going over the form so I used a hide stretcher to assist with this. Now that he's drying, his hair is standing up in every place that stretcher was used...at the puncture sites. The dryer he gets the worse the hair looks. I've used a hide stretcher dozens of times but never had this problem before. Any suggestions as to how to get the hair to lay back down?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

?

This response submitted by Mike on 12/14/05 at 5:25 PM. ( ) 208.252.179.27

What kind of hide stretcher?

Hide Stretcher

This response submitted by Todd Dean on 12/14/05 at 5:32 PM. ( bull1400@yahoo.com ) 65.167.212.24

Thanks for writing back Mike. It's kind of hard to describe. It's got 5 little prongs on one side so that you can "stab" for lack of a better word, into the hide and pull it. I've used the thing for years so I cant figure this one out. Every place that I used it to pull the hide, the hair is standing up. If you feel along the neck there are little hard spots in the hair. I think these are the puncture holes and maybe they have hardened with drying and that's messed up the hair. I need to try and find a way to make the hair lay back down and I'm at a loss. I really don't want to have to get another cape and remount the thing if I can help it. Any ideas?

take a hammer and tap

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 12/14/05 at 5:55 PM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

all the places that the hair is standing up...if you feel bumps perhaps the hide pulled up when you used the hide puller, in effect making pimples all over..if it's only dried a little over a week, maybe it can be tapped down. also a little hair gel wouldn't hurt.

just what i seen

This response submitted by tim on 12/14/05 at 7:26 PM. ( twwalker39@yahoo.com ) 71.243.154.130

i was visting a great taxidermist in cuba,ny,and he had a buck drying and string wraped around it (alot)i said ,Dan,whats up with that,he said the hair wont lay down,so this will fix it,im not sure of all the details but it made sence,i have used gel and a hair dryer,but im thinking is or was the form to big and strech to get it bigger,bill yox or goerge probably know even alot more.goodluck...tim

You Used........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/14/05 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.48

.....A form with too large a neck. If the skin doesn't come together easily before you start sewing, the neck's too large. I'll bet you've got drumming, too.

ya

This response submitted by bob on 12/14/05 at 11:06 PM. ( ) 65.30.137.24

what i do that works well is take hair conditioner and dilute it with water and put it into a spray bottle. I then spray the spots that are sticking up and work it in with my fingers and then i comb through it with a hair brush and then i take window screena and t pins and pin it down. let it dry for a couple days and it has always worked for me

Mannikin to big

This response submitted by John Griffith on 12/15/05 at 6:15 AM. ( jgriff@highland.net ) 207.144.88.166

Basically what you have done is ruined the cape. Whenever you put a cape on a manikin that is to large it creates all sorts of problems. The number one problem will be balloning (drumming) and then the hair will protrude straight outward.

When the skin is overstretched it looses it's originality per se. You must learn that bigger is never better in this business unless you like problem solving.

You might want to put some super strength hair setting gel on it. I believe that some of the local beauty supply companies will probably carry it. But, that might be just a temporary fix if it's that tight. Good luck and remember Bigger is never better in this business.

John Griffith
www.griffithtaxidermy.com

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu