small cut

Submitted by clinton Wolford on 12/15/05 at 12:39 PM. ( clwolford1s@semo.edu ) 68.185.212.75

I was fleshing the nose of a deer last night, and I cut a little too deep. There is a very small exposed cut right above the nose pad on the deer. I have not made a cut on the face that was visible, "have only done two", and was wondering what I could do keep it from showing in the final product. I thougt about sewing it , but I figure when it drys on the manikin it will strech the stiches apart. Any sugestions would be great.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

sew it

This response submitted by jt on 12/15/05 at 1:07 PM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

I like to.....................

This response submitted by Paul B on 12/15/05 at 1:29 PM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

use pins on any small cuts on the face area. I just get the skin taxied to proper postion, close the cut and pin in place. You can smooth the cut a bit as it dries and it will be flat and very hard to see. Any time I have sewn I always can see the repair, with pins I don't.

Paul

Super glue and dryer sheet

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 12/15/05 at 2:21 PM. ( ) 155.76.241.129

Clinton, Use some super glue gel and cut a small piece of dryer sheet. Super glue around the cut and pull it together and lay the dryer sheet over the cut. Make sure you get the edges pulled tight!You will never see it on the finished mount.

Bruce

Dryer Sheet?

This response submitted by Brad on 12/15/05 at 3:41 PM. ( ) 66.163.144.250

What does the dryer sheet do?...just curious.

Dryer sheet

This response submitted by ChipD. on 12/15/05 at 4:01 PM. ( gameskinner@yahoo.com ) 63.175.11.2

Brad, The dryer sheet is stuck to the skin side of the hide by the super glue. It acts to strengthen the cut area ( like when you use stitches) because it gives something to pull against as the hide drys or sets up.
I think I worded that so someone could understand it.

don't use pins

This response submitted by jt on 12/16/05 at 9:13 AM. ( jgt24@yahoo.com ) 65.165.173.1

don't use the pin idea. sure it will work at first but over time it will peel and open up. either sew with small enough thread that you can hide it or the super glue idea will work also but super glue from the underneath side. you don't need to use a dryer sheet or anything else, just the glue.

JT...............

This response submitted by Paul B on 12/16/05 at 6:42 PM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

I use a high quality hide paste ,and they don't peel. On the other hand , super glue will crystalize and loose bond , been there.

PB

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu