salting

Submitted by mike on 12/16/05 at 7:19 AM. ( ) 12.222.153.66

I skinned two coyote's last night and did very little fleshing. I salted both of them. Will I be able to finish the required fleshing? What would be my best plan? Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

A little late to ask,Mike

This response submitted by George on 12/16/05 at 8:42 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.8

You should NEVER salt an animal that's not completely fleshed. This allows for the moisture to be drawn from the residual flesh. This sometimes allows spoilage underneath and slippage on the opposite side. Even when it doesn't, it makes fleshing more difficult because it's tougher to define meat and skin. You MAY get lucky, but coyotes are always tough critters to predict slippage on. If you do, remember your mistake.

Stop Rot

This response submitted by Randall on 12/16/05 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 209.240.205.62

You can put stop rot on them first. Paint the outside of the ears and face with stop rot before skinning. You may want to freeze after skinning and thaw flesh and salt later. The stop rot is extra protection on yotes,fox and cats. Randall

WOOPS

This response submitted by heath on 12/17/05 at 3:36 PM. ( ) 68.252.43.75

I started to tan a doe abotu 8 days ago. I got a lot of flesh and fat off of it and kept putting holes in it! After it was salted for 3 days i tryied to cut more off of it and it was so mutch easier to flesh! any suggestions on the best way to flesh a hide befor u salt it?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu