first deer mount

Submitted by lost on 12/16/05 at 12:39 PM. ( ) 65.165.173.1

i'm mounting my first deer head. it's a deer that i shot this season. i skinned it and cut off as much of the meet as i could. I rubbed some borax on the skin and i put it in a bag and in the fridge while i waited for the form to arrive. i'm mounting it as i type this but had a couple quick questions. first off, i saw in the taxidermy supply catalog that it talked about earliners. is it that big of a deal that i'm not using earliners and am just using the ear the way it was? the next question is with the mouth/lips. the lips seem kind of thick looking on the form. will they shrink to look right? I've got pins holding it to the form now but can't quite figure out why else it doesn't look right. now i'm by no means an expert and like i said this is my first try at this. i'm just looking for some advice. thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Did YOu

This response submitted by Brad on 12/16/05 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 70.224.226.113

Split the Ears and Lips and Nostrils? Thin the Eyes?

Is that all you used for the tan was borax?

what do you mean?

This response submitted by lost on 12/16/05 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 65.165.173.1

what do you mean by split the ears, lips, and nostrils? i've got all the meat scraped off the eye, nose, and lip area. yes that's all i used was borax. is that ok?

stop!

This response submitted by Mr.T on 12/16/05 at 12:59 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.203

Freeze that cape, get a video, watch the video on how to mount a deer, then start over the right way.

absolutely not

This response submitted by J. Cart on 12/16/05 at 1:02 PM. ( ) 70.227.217.52

Your cape should be professionally tanned. Sounds like you need to at least get a how to tape-book or something.

Deer Lost

This response submitted by John on 12/18/05 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 68.117.27.68

should be fine. Just spit on the ears and they'll stay that way.. No sense in thinning the lips either, super glue is fine. If your post is serious though i think your screwed and need to read the archives.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu